OS installation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by reykjavik, Oct 11, 2006.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

This seems like a cool operating system alternative to Windows and since I dont have windows or an intel mac and would like to run an OS that runs all the basic windows apps I was looking at using Xandros.

My question is, can I? Do I partition my drive and install it? Has anyone used Xandros?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I used Xandros for a while on my PC. It worked quite well and the interface is nice but I struggled with some of the more complicated aspects of the OS. Even though I kinda knew what I was doing, I found it quite intimidating. Mind you, that goes for all Linux distributions; and Xandros is was the easiest of these for me to use. I find running XP to be easier and more compatible though.

If you want OSX on the cheap, you could get a used machine. Xandros is nice but it's no OSX substitute.

3. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

No I have OSX (iMac G5) but I want to be able to use a windows type of OS without sextremely slow ram gussling emulator and I dont have an intel mac. So I thought if I could eaisly install xandros on my mac I would..

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I didn't think there was a Xandros for PPC. I ran it on an X86 Dell. :eek: