OS Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by metzler000, Jan 30, 2004.

1. metzler000 macrumors newbie

I started with a blank G4 and installed Panther and then used the G4 software restore disks and installed version 9 for the classic environment. Is there anything wrong with the way I did this?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

3. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I think Classic boot up in OS X can work with any old install. I've used old installs of OS 9 on seperate hard drives, it just has to add a few files to it to bring it up to scratch.:)

hope that makes you feel more confident.

4. kanker macrumors 6502

There is a difference between classic environment and OS 9. Classic is an OS 9 emulator that runs in OS X. If you installed 9 from the software restore disks, then you have OSX with the classic environment and an actual OS9 system coexisting on the same disk. Your method for installing OS 9 is the ONLY way to have X and 9 coexist on the same disk, so your installation was the correct way of doing things if that was your intended result.

EDIT- by the way, 9.2.2 is the only version of 9 that will coexist with X on one disk, and is the version on you software restore CD (assuming it was an OS X restore CD). Classic runs a 9.2.2 emulation.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually, 9.2.1 will also co-exist with OSX. I can't seem to find an update to 9.2.1, otherwise I would.

TEG

6. Calliander macrumors member

Here's an odd fact. Apple provides us authorized techs with a disc image of 9.2.1. I have to use that to install, then download the update the 9.2.2.

9.1 will work with Jaguar, but I haven't tested it with Panther. My coworkers seem to think it "should" work, but I wouldn't risk it, personally.

7. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Just tried booting the Classic enviroment in Panther 10.3.2 using a seperate insallation of 9.1. It pops up a window saying for best results use 9.2.2 and then after that it says that the version of quicktime is not ideal, for best results use 6.0.3. It still worked though.:)

8. kanker macrumors 6502

I guess I was a little misinformed. Still, I'm pretty sure about the software restore part.:D