OS X 10.1 help!!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Killyp, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'm without my MacBook Pro at the moment (possible faulty logic board), so I'm stuck with my G3 iMac. Great computer, but I didn't realise how poor 10.1 is. I've run software update, which says that I needed to do a manual update due to a security flaw in the Software Updater, which I did. It then updated IE5, but that's it. It won't update anything any further. I tried downloading and installing the Security Update 10-19-01, and that won't let me select Macintosh HD to isntall into. Neither will the OS X 10.1.1, Installer Update 1.0 or 10.1.5 combo update!!!! It's very frustrating and I can't find anything on Apple.com to help me. What should I do next? I'm currently on 10.1...

EDIT: I'm actually already on Installer 1.1, so I don't need to worry about that, but it won't let me do the security update. Macintosh HD is greyed out...

Many thanks!!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'd say.. Don't bother? Do you really think you'll end up getting exploited? Probably not. And trust me, running 10.1.5 isn't going to enhance your experience.

So.. If you must.. why won't it let you select the HD? Is it full? Are you an admin? What do the logs say? What troubleshooting have you tried?

3. Killyp thread starter macrumors 68040

Killyp

The HD has 1.65 out of 10 GB used. It's not that I'm worried about my iMac getting exploited. There is hardly any software available for 10.1, but loads more available for 10.1.5. I'm trying to get QuickTime 6 going, but it refuses to like half the other software I've downloaded because it's only on 10.1...

I've tried doing a complete OS re-install, but it still won't let me...

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

you might check to see if your firmware is up to date.

failing that, your only other option probably is to completely zero the HD and re-format/re-install. Pretty sure that would work.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I'd recommend having a look on eBay for a cheap used MacOS X 10.2 or 10.3 version. (10.4 would be much more likely to be pirated, but there are plenty of people who bought 10.2 or 10.3 and later bought Tiger and therefore can sell the older version).