Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

os_x_black_x.jpg
OS X 10.10, the next version of OS X which carries the code name of "Syrah", will take a few cues from iOS 7 with a somewhat flatter look compared to OS X Mavericks, but the changes will not result in as stark a look as seen on iOS 7, according to a new report from 9to5Mac. The report comes on the heels of comments from Apple executives reiterating that convergence of iOS and OS X is a "non-goal" for the company.
Instead [of a complete iOS 7-like overhaul], I am expecting OS X 10.10 to have user-interface tweaks that will make the interface "flatter," but not as stark as iOS 7?s look. I'd also expect some blur and translucency effects in a few places, but not in anyway that is central to the experience like it is on iOS. There will be a little bit more white space, more defined menu bars, and squared-off window controls, but I would not expect a full color palette change and redesigns for every single application and icon.
The report indicates that internal build numbers for OS X 10.10 are currently around 14Z109 and that new features could include improved notifications, cross-platform AirDrop support to and from iOS 8, and possible Siri integration.

os_x_10_10_macrumors_jan14.jpg
Visitors to MacRumors.com via Apple's networks from machines running OS X 10.10
MacRumors has been seeing fairly low levels of activity coming from machines running OS X 10.10 from Apple's network, and that activity has unsurprisingly been beginning to ramp up this month following the holiday break. With Apple having accelerated its OS X release cycles over the past several major updates, a public release for OS X 10.10 could come late this year or early next year.

Article Link: OS X 10.10 to Feature 'Flatter' Look, but Not as Stark as iOS 7

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Didn't Apple say Mavericks and iOS 7 would have cross-platform AirDrop support?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Bring it on.

Now how about a new file system? HFS+ is long in the tooth compared to newer ones being developed.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
A little flatter tweak here or there would be nice.

I hope to see the unified notifications centre which was announced with Mavericks and never saw the light of day. Im not sure if it was dropped because some app devs charge for apps on iOS or OSX which give notifications that they don't on the other app, but its a shame, all push notifications go through Apples data centre so I don't see why they can't appear on all devices and intelligently know which ones have been seen.

Cross platform airdrop is a must too, should have been in Mavericks but i imagine it won't have all the features of Instashare and thus i'll still be using that like I stll use 1password along with iCloud keychain for when it doesn't work on some websites.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I can't wait for cross-platform airdrop. I'm really interested in seeing the design change. I at least hope for transparency in the notification center, and maybe the menu bar. (MORE transparency in the case of the menu bar)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I really love the direction Apple goes with flatness, but they need to take it further. Removing boarders from buttons and just leaving text is a good start, but this should be applied to every aspect of the phone. The icons got simpler, so to make them as simple as possible, remove them completely. The entire GUI should be stripped, leaving something like this:

dos32.gif

Ahhh, the epitome of flatness. :rolleyes:

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I hope they make it exactly like iOS 7 for continuity's sake. Why go in these incremental steps when it's obvious that they will eventually shift to iOS' look entirely?

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
I want it NOW!!! Seriously, the UI looks like iOS 6 and needs a refreshment. Of course I don't want a concept like Windows 8, just the classic OS X desktop with iOS 7 look.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
This is Mark Gurman's opinion, not a "report."

That said, I think he's sort of right. Not flatter, but less shiny. No more aqua chat bubbles and progress bars. Last vestiges of skeuomorphism gone in Reminders, Notes, and Game Center. Siri has got to come at some point.

I don't think OS X will ever look like iOS. At least not until retina is on everything. Too many thin lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.