Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
10.10 mostly targets Retina MBP. And what about non-Retina? Does that mean that my non-Retina mid 2012 with its hardware features is no longer upgradable with the release of 10.10?

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Comment 1)

It is not uncommon in software versioning to see things like:

(10.10 != 10.1) && (10.20 != 10.2) for software versioning

we also see things like
10.9.1, 10.9.2 ... 10.9.10, etc...

Version numbers are not decimal numbers the are representative of the software.

A.B.C....

A = Product Version, usually meaning the core of the product was significantly altered or even completely replaced (think Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X). "A" can be any integer number.

B = Secondary level change, ("Major" Product Revision) In the case of Mac OS X it is used to signify a new Major Release of Mac OS X. Feature updates, core (i.e. Kernel) enhancements, etc... "B" can be any integer number.

C = Tertiary level changes, ("Minor" Product Revision) Usually for large updates to the Major release. For comparison sake could be similar to a "Service Pack" in MS/Windows terminology. Bug fixes, refinements, may have some functionality/feature enhancements. Often they include all the security/bug fixes that were released since the prior Tertiary level changers were released. "C" can be any integer number.

Technically they could continue on down with more levels .D.E.F.G, etc... but they typically don't bother getting that granular. "All levels" can be any integer number.

The point is, this isn't standard numbering. Like the Duey Decimal System, it gets more granular as you go down the line, but unlike the Duey decimal system you are distinguishing each level with a "dot", and the number between each "dot" counts up independently and is its own number. any whole number 0-∞ is technically allowed.

Comment 2 and back on topic:
The design in the article has some aspects I like, but it does "feel" to much like Windows for my taste.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/The-next-Mac-OS/9995849

Also is good, but could use some refinement.

In both cases I do like seeing a bit more translucency. for example if Notification center slid on top of the desktop with a translucent background I would personally like that.

Last edited:

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Why do MR keep posting mockups by random designers on dribbble? :confused:

It's Mac/Apple related. I can understand why folks may not feel these kinds of articles should be listed. But I think the mockups and speculation are enjoyable to see. I like seeing what people are thinking, and I like seeing how that compared to the real product when it is released.

It's a fine line between speculating and rumors I suppose. but personally I like it, because regardless if I like someone's rendition, I respect the effort, and it does get me thinking about what I do like and don't like about the current UI/UX, and their vision of a possible future UI/UX.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
This one is better and came out last year,

http://www.studoesdesign.co.uk/work/osxivericks/

wc_finder.png

wct_contacts.png

wct_miniplayer.png

d_notes.png

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Mark Gurman ‏@markgurman 22s
That 10.10 mockup floating around is awful and not what 10.10 will look like.

HE HATH SPOKEN!

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO PLEASE NO!!!! ...
I LOVE iOS 7. I have always loved it. I went to apples web site ever single day after WWDC last June to just stare at iOS 7 then I would go on you tube and watch tons of videos on it. But I just don't like the look of it on the desk top. Please come and vote on this poll. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1708315/

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
These designers need to make a working prototype of these designs and see if they could even stand to use something like this for more than a day and up to a whole month.

If OS X 10.10 looked like that, I'd stay on Mavericks forever.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Flat.....

I like. And also liked the clean interface. But still, we have a long way before we can see Syrah or whatever will be called, in the wild.

Dont judge me, but I am biased towards this kind of concepts by my use of iOS 7....:D

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.