OS X 10.3.6 Expected Soon?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Oct 11, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

According to AppleInsider, the next revision to Apple's OS X 10.3 Panther operating system is expected within the next 30 days. Enhancements are said to be in Networking, OpenGL, Updated ATI & NVidia graphics card drivers, additional FireWire audio and USB device compatibility, and improved compatibility for third party applications. Also expected are updated versions of Apple's Calculator, DVD Player, Image Capture, and Safari applications, as well as previous standalone Mac OS X security updates.

2. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A Calculator update!?

3. macrumors 68000

BWhaler

I hope to God it fixes the ripple issue on the new G5's.

4. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

That would be nice, good to see them working on more compatibility for external devices and third party stuff :D

5. macrumors member

As always, I'm looking forward to the OpenGL updates even though I will never admit that a PowerBook G4 does not make a good gaming machine. :D

6. macrumors newbie

still giddy...

i'm just excited to actually be on a computer that CAN be use the new updates...

have i mentioned how much i love my new iMac?

-Cannibal-
    :D

7. macrumors regular

Updated ATI drivers? Bring it!

Hopefully nice updated drivers for the 9800 Pro SE 256mb!

Bring it on!

8. macrumors 68000

I hope they iron out the bugs in the developer version (right now I can't control the audio level of the back audio out port on my Mac).
    –Chase

9. macrumors 6502a

Peyote

All I wanna know is when the hell is CHESS going to be updated?! I think we've waited long enough!

10. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

ripple issue?

11. macrumors 68040

JFreak

this can very well be true - at least firewire audio updates MUST be significant, as there are severe problems with pro audio apps with the 10.3.5 version, compared to the 10.3.4 which is imho the best osx version so far.

bring it on, even with the feature set of 10.3.5 only having all bugs worked out.

12. macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Maybe this will improve the OpenGL speedup times that everyone was complaining about with the new iMacs. Or maybe that's too much to hope for... :rolleyes:

13. macrumors 68040

JFreak

or... why hasn't anyone yet said this: this must mean the new G5 powerbook is on its way :D :D :D

(i must admit, i feel a little ashamed in joking about this. the G5 will eventually make its way into powerbooks and the day will come when it comes. no need to hype it, seriously.)

14. macrumors 68000

LeeTom

As far as the Calculator update goes, I remember reading an article about how it is actually not very accurate for even some intermediate math.
    Ah... here it is:
    http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2004/08/apple-calculator

It was written in August, so it's nice to see Apple turning it around this quickly with a fix, if that is indeed what they are doing.

Lee Tom

15. macrumors 6502a

comictimes

heh. I'm definitely with you there. games run wonderfully on my powerbook... really...

16. macrumors 68030

munkle

Yeah, I remember reading some article lambasting the Calculator, apparently it's wildly off on some sums.

Edit: beaten to it!

17. macrumors 6502a

10.3.6 update? Cool. Finder already feels snappier. :D

Seriously though, I feel like Apple is gonna release something new tomorrow. Not necessarily 10.3.6, but possibly iTMS Pan-Euro? maybe 60GB iPod? Flash iPod? New eMacs? I dunno, things have been quiet. . . too quiet.

18. macrumors 68000

Technically, it's not doing mis-calculations, but how it presents the answer to the user, by default, is a bit unexpected leading people to believe the answer is wrong. It's not.

19. macrumors 68030

munkle

Technically, what's the difference? The answer isn't wrong, just how it's written down, which in turn the simple layman reads wrongly?! :confused:

20. macrumors 6502a

swissmann

I usually do a clean install when I do these updates. I didn't with 10.3.5 and have had a lot of crashes etc. I don't know if anyone else has has worse luck with 10.3.5 than previous minor revisions - input would be nice. I do hope that a simple update to 10.3.6 fixes these bugs but don't think it will happen.

21. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

haha, that's kind of amusing

I wonder if they gave the updated Safari a new version # yet...

22. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Games run fine on mine, but I guess I don't play anything more intensive than wc3. Mainly it's just for school and simplistic video editing / DVD making

23. macrumors 68000

BWhaler

With the ati cards, the screen will ripple when scrolling. It's not overly bad, just annoying. I have read it is a driver issue.

24. macrumors member

Updates to 3rd party apps.....

Hope this fixes my Entourage crashes - the only programme that goes nuts on my PB 17"... have been running Activity Monitor to see what is going on - even when Ent is open but parked in the dock the damn thing is hogging CPU and memory like it owns the place..

Which makes everything else run a bit more slowly...

That's the only problem I've got/had with my Mac's in the past five years and I'm onto number 5....

25. macrumors 65816

i hope this fixes all of the issues with gaming...at least with blizzard :D.