OS X 10.3.9 before Tiger?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by xsedrinam, Feb 13, 2005.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I've just googled around and found nothing out there, but wondered if there's any word that Panther will have one more update before Tiger comes out, or was 10.3.8 it?
    X

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I certainly hope so... or if not before then soon after.

There have already been enough reports on 10.3.8 to cause concerns. My upgrade didn't go smoothly – completely screwed up the audio output on my G4 (fixed with the fantastic help of a MR forum member :) )

I don't plan on moving our work machines to Tiger until I'm sure that all our software plays nice with it. And yes, I'm talking about that miscreant – Quark, but also back-up, RIP & font software... and when we eventually do, I'm sure that Tiger will be up to 10.4.4 or higher... I'll be running it at home a long time before I risk upgrading the work set-up.

Did Apple release further upgrades to Jaguar after the release of Panther?

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Only critical security updates.

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I don't think we'll see Tiger before late April or May. We've been getting Panther updates every 6 to 8 weeks or so. I'd think we'd see another 10.3 update in mid-April.

5. Bear macrumors G3

If we even see tiger that eary. I suspect we'll see at least 1 to 2 updates for Panther before Tiger is released and possibly one after. As well as the continued security updates. (The way they've been doing security updates for 10.2.8 as well still.)

6. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I think Steve is going to hold out on Tiger as long as possible. Didn't he say in the first half of 2005? So I would expect in on June 31st. With that being said, we most likely will see one or more Panther udates.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...for those that think there will be more than one more update to 10.3 (not counting security patches), what do you think Apple will name the update after 10.3.9.....oh yeah!

8. relimw macrumors 6502a

Umm, I guess that would be 10.3.10, unless you using a different counting system from the rest of us :p

9. LimitedEdition macrumors member

Conspiracy Theory

Maybe the bugs in 10.3.8 are put there deliberately to make more people buy Tiger :)

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....that is what I would name it, but to many people that is confusing - the thinking being that 10.3.9 +1 = 10.4....but I don't think there will be two updates anyway so it probably does not matter.....oh yeah!

11. Bear macrumors G3

June 31st? You must be using a different calendar from the rest of us. :cool:

12. relimw macrumors 6502a

Not to rehash something that was covered in a previous thread, but what the heck is so confusing about going from 9 to 10? Now 10.9.x would be a better canidid for 10.4. :)

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that Apple is doing there best to fix bugs in Panther. There are just so many variables, that it's a difficult task. Yes, I expect a 10.3.9 to appear on the seen, maybe in March or April.

Apple doesn't to to entice us to want Tiger, it is already eagerly anticipated.

14. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Aaarrgh! Duff-Man, you're killing me. So many folks have speculated on this in so many other threads, it's turning into a PowerBook G5 debate. Please tell me you were kidding, right? :)

Anywho - I didn't think there would be another Panther update after 10.3.8 until I read the latest posting today on the next version of Tiger seeded to developers. Now, I'm not so sure - I certainly wouldn't mind a 10.3.9 update, particularly if it included my personal pipe dream for Panther, native dual-layer DVD support. Seems like there's a lot of smoothing out of rough edges to do in Tiger, and I'd actually prefer if Apple took its time (say for a release at WWDC).

No matter what though, whenever Tiger comes out this year it will be better than Longhorn ever could.

15. russed macrumors 68000

russed

yeh, i was going to say, at least us (unlike the other 95% of the computing world) can see a new operating system in the near future.

for those people complaining about buggy 10.3, look at windows, smile and be happy!

16. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

LOL - That would be a classic release date. Which came first, the Roman Calendar, or the Tiger? :D
    X

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I didn't have any problems with the upgrade to 10.3.8, though it didn't cause a performance increase either. Given the current pace of updates I think it's safe to guess we will see 1-2 more before Tiger.

18. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Doable, except AFAIK Apple has never used that numbering system.

I think there will only be one more point update before Tiger. The rest they can address in security patches.

19. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

As far as I can remember, Apple has NEVER done a .9 update. Just... never. Not to say it won't happen. That's irrelevant. It just says something about how long they are taking on Tiger.

20. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Software update numbering system is not simple match.

There can well be a 10.3.11, 10.3.19, 10.3.25, etc.... you get the point.

It suddenly doesn't go from 10.3.9 to 10.4. :)

Its not hard people. ;) :)

21. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I think there will be .9 considering the speed of these updates maybe even .10 every 6-8 weeks would make June a probable release date if there is a .10 if not I'd say beginning of May.
    Considering the many bugs I'd say end of May, beginning of June.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

23. Bear macrumors G3

Adding anothe rlevel to the version number is going to cause more issues than I care to think about. Including the fact that the software process at Apple is probably not set up to handle another level.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I could be wrong but I thought that system 7 had a 4 number update like that.

25. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

OS 7.5.3 had a couple of revisions (R1 and R2) that I believe were pulled at the last minute for bugs and 7.5.5 was released. That got me to digging a little. I found this link of interesting Mac OS update histories.
    http://www.macos.utah.edu/Documentation/MacOSXClasses/macosxone/macintosh.html#7
    X