OS X 10.3 installation problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaso109, Feb 20, 2006.

1. jaso109 macrumors newbie

i needed to reset a password on os X 10.3 on a ibook g4. i bought a retail copy of os X 10.3 and it does boot to the cd but them it goes to a white screen with a circle with a line accross it like wht you see on do not do signs. i dont get this i really need to get this laptop working i paid $50 for this copy off line all in original box and it still dot work. can anyone help.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could you post a photo of the disks? It might not be a retail version because it's acting like a version that'd be packaged with a different Mac or a badly duplicated version of an OSX disk. :eek:

3. jaso109 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, it appears legitimate... Is there a friend's disk you could try? Does this one appear overly scratched?

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

how old is your ibook and what version of OS X came with it originally?

if this version of 10.3 is older than your ibook it's possible it wont run on it

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The OS that shipped with your iBook G4 was MacOS X 10.3 or newer. It is virtually certain that your computer is newer than your retail version of MacOS X 10.3. It is well-known that Macs will not boot into an OS that is older than the one that shipped with the computer. You need to use either the disk that shipped with your computer or a commercial version of MacOS X 10.4.

7. jaso109 thread starter macrumors newbie

i am not sure of exacly how old the ibook is but it is a 1.07ghz it came with 10.3 on it. but i dont want to have to spend $129 for 10.4 on it. is there any way of making the 10.3 boot i just need to redo the passwords.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Use the disk that shipped with your computer.

9. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

This is not entirely true. I know for a fact!!! I just recently had to install 10.3.7 on a Rev B 17in iMac G5 and it did install. Granted it did not run good at all and the fans would not stop running.

In the end i called apple and they are sending replacement discs but i still had to fix the computer so i ended up "finding" a CD version so taht i could install the correct OS and get the computer running good again. I did find the CD version using bittorrent. I do not condone using bittorrent in this way but I did not really have a choice as the computer was my parents and i was only there for a weekend and i had to get the computer working. And since i did not have an apple store near me or an apple authorized reseller i had to "find" a copy.

If you have the serial number for the mac you can call them and they should send you discs that were for your mac. this could work depending on how fast you want to fix the machine.

what you can do is take that disk to an apple store or reseller and they should exchange it. At least that is what the guy at apple said when i called.