OS X 10.3 installed, how do I get OS 9?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by P-Worm, Aug 4, 2004.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I'm sorry, I didn't know where to place this guy.

Anyway, I want to install OS 9 on my computer, but how do I do it? I tried doing the 'hold down c' to boot from the installation CD, but all it does is boot into OS X. And I can't run the installer because I don't have classic anymore. What do I do?

P-Worm

2. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Which model are you using? Most recent Macs are unable to run OS 9.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Only stuff with DDR memory, though they did kill OS 9 on the FW800 PowerMacs and the last SDR eMacs (though some did and didn't at the same time).

4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

There is an icon on the system restore DVD that says something like "Install OS9 and additional applications" or something like that...

You don't boot off it, just stick it in from the desktop and run the icon.

That will give you Classic back at least...

5. Stevp1 macrumors regular

Is there any way around this? I have another post about not being able to run Duke Nukem in classic, and the only workaround I've found is booting into 9, not running classic. Officially it seems I can't do that, but where there's a will...

help?

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...no...this has been discussed many times....the newer macs cannot and will not boot OS 9....oh yeah!

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

To belabor a pun, but sometimes where there is a will, there is a worthless piece of paper. MacOS 9.2.2 does not support booting Macs released over the last year or so. Apple continues to tweak MacOS 9, but only to maintain the Classic environment. It is true that there was a hack that would allow newer Macs to boot into MacOS 9. However, that was more than a year ago. Whether the hack works or not depends on your model computer. You might want to search the web for that hack. A good place to start might be this forum.