OS X 10.4.7, WoW and you

Discussion in 'Games' started by csubear, Jun 27, 2006.

1. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

2. ich1ban macrumors regular

ich1ban

Hmmm seems like I might have to install WoW on my macbook now, since I only have it on my PC. Thanks for the info!

3. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

So Apple has completely abandoned PPC, I take it, as all improvements were for Intel-only Macs.

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    WTF are you talking about? The 10.4.7 update is for all Macs. It's a 66.5MB download from software update buddy, go get it! Jump on it! smack it! and if it's naughty... well, we have probes for that too!

5. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

It's 39MB for PPC and no mention of the new video drivers. I'm talking about performance updates for OpenGL. PPC is dead, long live PPC. :(

note: I'm only frowning because I haven't gotten around to getting a PPC Mac yet.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The open Gl improvements were for intel mac only if you read the post linked ;) :D :D

7. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

exactly!

8. sk1985 macrumors regular

It's PPC counterpart has been out since forever. I'm pretty confident that almost all it's bugs have been ironed out years ago. That would explain the lack of updates. Seriously though PPC users got most of the major fixes with the last update.

P.S.
    It would be stupid for apple to abandon PPC user right now. We kind of out number Mactel users by the millions. In a few years that will change because PPC chips will be so dated and they'll be in lower numbers.

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    PFFFT! Who needs reading when you have text to speech on Windows?

Anyway, my Software Update says 66.5MB. No kidding.

10. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

I don't think they've abandoned PPC, i just think that the tree's are not really in-sync right now. I'm sure we will see more updates in the future that include ppc, and intel.

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I don't think its about the PPC being left behind, I think its more about the Intel builds still requiring fixes! PPC OS X has been retail quality for how many years?? Intel OS X has been retail quality since January and was Beta before that. There hasn't been a new PPC machine since last year whilst there have been new Intel machines. New machines = new bugs to fix. PPC's not being left behind, its just got less bugs!

12. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

I would not say that with the 'fixes' they are introducing for WoW. From what I have gather from reading the blizzard forums, these OpenGL fixes are more like complete reworks of the opengl subsystem. It is kinda strange to see the fixes on on earch and not the other, but it can somewhat be expected. Thats not to say that these fixes won't reach the ppc build, its just that apple is placing priority on the intel builds. I'm sure bootcamp has something to do with this. Many people reported that WoW ran up to 50% faster on xp than OS X on the same hardware. I'm sure apple would like to see that gap narrow.

13. rbarris macrumors 6502

The changes in 10.4.7 are rather minor from an API / coding POV. However their impact on the efficiency of the game are significant. There are more changes coming for future SU's, which we hope will raise the bar a little higher as well.

There isn't any explicit decision that I am aware of to restrict such improvements to Intel - they just were not in sync for 10.4.7. We really want to see PowerPC hardware go faster too, as it still represents a majority of the Mac WoW player base - and Apple is completely aware of that. There is no "PowerPC lockout" going on that I can see, though there is a lag at the moment. OK, fancy way of saying "be patient" - nuff said.

14. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I posted in another thread that I've been getting single digit frame rates on my Macbook. I read an article over on AppleInsider that stated Apple "forgot" to include some crucial OpenGL performance-critical files and that they would be issuing a revised update in a few days. Anyone else read this?

15. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

Just download the combo updater from the apple website. Its about 260MB. That will have all the opengl updates.

16. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Thanks, I hope that does it. I had run 1.10 a couple times and ran around IF and it was very smooth. Getting single digit frame rates now is distressing.

If rbarris is still lurking around, why are all of the shader options disabled on WoW on my Macbook? I find it hard to believe the Intel GMA doesn't support them.

17. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

It doesn't support them in Windows; I don't know why it'd support them in OS X.

rbarris, I'm not criticizing WoW development, I'm honked at Apple for not supporting PPC...there has been speed-up after speed-up for OpenGL in OS X for Intel since its introduction; I refuse to belive that PPC is fully optimized. It's just too slow in OpenGL for that to be true.

18. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Really? Why is that? I know it's not the best graphics processor out there but isn't there a full OpenGL driver for it that supports shaders?

19. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

This thread makes me all the more anxious for my download free trial to finish.

20. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

It doesn't support simple DirectX 7-era stuff like hardware transform or lighting. It can do what OS X and Windows Vista require for GUI acceleration and very little more.

21. rbarris macrumors 6502

It should be pointedout that the 950 has pixel shader capability. It does not have vertex shader (FP math) capability. It relies on the CPU to do any coordinate math (transformations) but the GPU itself does have a pixel shader unit.

22. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Very interesting indeed. I didn't buy the Macbook for gaming, but I had at least hoped for some playability. I downloaded the combo updater and got the same numbers in Moonbrook - 5-7fps. I switched to a character in IF and got numbers 18-25. This is with everything at minimum detail settings. I guess I won't be playing WoW when I go on trips. :-(

23. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

That pretty much mirrors my experience on a Windows-based system, maybe a little slower in OS X still. Either way, it's not much fun if you can't tell what's going on.

24. rbarris macrumors 6502

The bad news is that WoW FPS is low on GMA 950 based systems. The good news is that the majority of the overhead is presently in the driver software - 10 minutes in Shark will spell this out quite clearly.

Why is that good news ? Software can be improved, hardware usually stays about the same over its lifetime (excluding funny business like software-set overclocking). So improvements are possible, and we've been quite clear in pointing out their impact on WoW (i.e., filed Radar bugs etc).

So, I believe this situation will improve over time.

25. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205