OS X 10.4 upgrade to 10.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Deza604, May 1, 2006.

1. Deza604 macrumors newbie

This may be a really easy question to answer, but I was thinking of purchasing an Intel iMac in the near future, and was wondering if I will be able to update the pre-installed OS X 10.4.6 to the as-of-yet unreleased 10.5 through Software Update or a similar service, or will I not be able to upgrade without purchasing the install DVD?
    Thank you in advance!

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

3. Deza604 thread starter macrumors newbie

Or wait until they package it with the iMac, right?
    Okay, thank you for the quick response!

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

That's correct. Tiger was released a few days after I'd ordered my PB and Apple let me pay just $15 for the upgrade disc.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You'll likely be waiting at least six months if you wait to buy your machine until 10.5 comes out.

6. Deza604 thread starter macrumors newbie

True, what is $199.99 compared to the $1999.99 computer? But if the Merom/Conroe iMac arrives somewhere near 10.5, it might be worth the wait.

7. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

or get your machine now and download the os later from a torrent or something...
    that's a lot easier and cheaper

8. Deza604 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any speculation on how much different the Merom/Conroe processors will be from the current Core Duo? I just don't want to rush into a purchase only to have it outdated in a couple months, so if the difference isn't so great, buying now will look more appetizing.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

10.5 will likely be $129, just like all the other updates.

Merom will be better than Core Duo...the number I've heard is about 20% better. But just what that means is debatable.

But there's always something better around the corner. You can wait forever if you're always waiting for the Next Best Thing.

10. Deza604 thread starter macrumors newbie

That may be the answer to all my problems, just gotta bite the bullet. I heard some rumors that the Merom is backwards compatible with the Core Duo, so, theoretcially, you could replace the Core Duo chip with a Merom once it comes out. With the 20" iMac, would that be hard to do?

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Theoretically, yes. See this article for some details. But in reality, very few people will do this. It'll be a pricey upgrade and not really worth it in my opinion.

12. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Not to mention, illegal and immoral.

13. Deza604 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, makes sense, thanks for all the help everyone, I look forward to getting an iMac soon!