Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has received word that Apple seeded OS X Leopard 10.5.8 Build 9L30 to developers last night, including only a single documented change related to an issue with external monitors and waking from sleep mode. There are reportedly no listed outstanding issues in the latest build.

Apple's previous seed of 10.5.8 (Build 9L29) was pushed to developers just five days earlier, and the single increment in build number between the two releases suggests that Apple may be very close to completing work on what many expect to be the final update to Leopard before the release of OS X Snow Leopard in September.

OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard will be available to Leopard users for only $29 and will primarily incorporate "under the hood" changes designed to improve performance and stability.

Article Link: OS X 10.5.8 Development Wrapping Up?

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Wow! Only one variation of Mac OS X? Not a dozen like microsoft? Also 29$? Not 199$? Woohoo I am sold!

Personally, can anyone name off the different variations of Windows 7? They do not make sense....

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
I really want that bug fix as it sounds like it the cause of my iTunes crashing woes. Crossing my fingers.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
Have they said whether it will be released at the end or otherwise? SL. September.

And there will certainly be other leopard updates following SL, but this may be the final one we see this summer.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
... Apple's previous seed of 10.5.8 (Build 9L29) was pushed to developers just five days earlier, and the single increment in build number between the two releases suggests that Apple may be very close to completing work on what many expect to be the final update to Leopard before the release of OS X Snow Leopard in September....

Close, but no cigar this early. I predict two more "seeds" before 10.5.8 goes live. I predict at least 6 seeds after this and before the new cat arrives on shelves. :cool:

kurenaiz

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
it's frustrating to be remind again and again that they still can't permanently fix the sleep/wake issue.....up to 10.5.8

:Rob:

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
When September ends...

...we will have Snow Leopard, new iPod, apple tablet maybe.
Interesting :D:D:D

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Well, hopefully the Sleep/Wake Bug and Bluetooth stability will be improved or fixed in 10.5.8. However, I cannot wait for Snow Leopard and all of its new features:)

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
What makes you think that? The only numbered update Apple has ever made to a previous OS version was 10.4.11, which came out only a couple of weeks after Leopard's release.

HA. I guess I haven't been a mac user (well...OSX anyway) long enough to know the trend.

I figured since PPC people are in uproar they would at least release security patches every now and then to keep it up to date. Then again, there's nothing saying they have to do that.

karmachrome

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
How have these updates and releases corresponded with the timing of the educational promotions? It looks as though last year, there were releases on either the last day or the day after.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
At this point, I am way more interested in Snow Leopard than updates to Leopard!!!

At this point (as in PPC hardware perfectly usable), I am way more interested in Leopard being perfected (for the PPC hardware still alive for years to come) than the development progress and release date of Snow Leopard.

I can wait - but PPC hardware users will have to use the last Leopard release "forever".

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
now if only when i wake my computer up with an external monitor, it would connect to a wifi network without having to toggle airport on and off!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.