OS X 10.5 System Requirments

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Collin973, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Collin973 macrumors 6502

Does any one know the minimum system requirment for leopard yet? I haven't seen much about them and I was just curious...

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you're using a PPC, it'll need a G6, and on the x86 side of the camp, an AMD X2 of better CPU will be good.

Of course, it's all only rumors at this point, as Apple hasn't officially released Leapord's system specs yet.

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I seriously doubt Apple will make Leopard non PPC compat. Obviously it won't run at all on G3 processors (Tiger runs, but unbelievably mega-slowly). G4 processors will probably begin to show their age, wheras G5 processors should have no problems. Obviously Intel macs will probably run it better than Tiger.

4. adamb100 macrumors regular

The video card has to be a GeForce 7800GT minimum too to run the new effects in Lepord too.

5. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Prob 512MB RAM, any G4 over about 700MHz and all the G5s

And of course all the intel macs

I think 10.5 will be the last to support PPC

6. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

I heard it needs a physics card to move windows. :p

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Should be imilar to Tiger, but should drop the G3 from the equation and drop the CD option.

PowerPC G4/G5 or Intel

Built-in FireWire

Built-in DVD player

256MB or 512MB

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I think this is probably really close, although I wouldn't be too surprised to see later model iBook G3s supported (some are as fast as 900 MHz). As for 10.5 being the last PPC compatible OS, I doubt it. Apple is still selling brand new PPC Macs, and they're very powerful. Considering that Tiger supports B&W G3s, I don't think Apple will drop support for computers that will only be 2-2.5 years old (a guess) when 10.6 comes out.

9. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I know someone will disagree, but most PowerMac users are Pro's and therefore upgrade there computers regularly.

It all depends on how far 10.6 is down the road, apple won't want to support PPC for longer than it has to.

10. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

With Leopard, 1GB will become as useful as 512MB is today.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

12. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

jeebus.. the beta of 10.5 has yet to be shown and we are already talking about minimum sys requirements? meh, i suppose its all in good means as to stir the pot (i.e. rumor mill)

13. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I believe Apple are looking to 18-24 month cycles from now on.

As for the last to support PPC, more likely 10.7 or maybe even 10.9, (OS 11 being the first x86 only), but that would be some 10 years or more down the line, longer support period than now. PPC won't be ditched that quickly.

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

what are you talking about? PowerMac users (at least in the design industry) rarely upgrade their computers. The pro users I know went from G3's to G5s so they'll likely not upgrade for 4-5 years. And there's one professor that still works primarily from a G3 tower.

15. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

I think you're all probably right about G3's maybe not making the cut, at least my old 500 Mhz iMac at my folks' place won't make it...
    But somebody up top said Tiger was sluggishly slow on the G3's. Well, i guess you'd say that comparing to faster computers, which is pretty obvious. But I upgraded that computer from Jaguar to Tiger and it was a huge improvement. I'm not necessarily saying Leopard would make that computer any faster though, but who knows?

16. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I don't see why a 900 MHz G3 would not be supported, but a 500 MHz G4 will.
    Take away the AltiVec and SMP support, and the G4 doesn't have any speed advantages over the G3. The OS itself hardly uses AltiVec IIRC, and SMP is gr8 only if you have a Dual.... ;)

Maybe the specs will be similar to what Apple did with iChat.... (see pic).
    Meaning that Leopard can be installed, but maybe some features will not work unless you meet recommended requirements (well, face it.... for Boot Camp you'll need an Intel, ofcourse... so it will happen anyway, haha)

Attached Files:

17. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I can confirm that OS 10.5 will require a Macintosh Computer.;)

18. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Actually even very basic stuff like memcpy and rect filling uses Altivec on OSX, but your point is still valid. A 900MHz G3 will be a lot faster.

19. howesey macrumors 6502a

That's Microsoft's Windows Vista. Each 'glass' window requires 1GB of RAM each, and 16 pipelines and 256MB VRAM on your 3D card.

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And thus Quartz Extreme is superior? Seriously, the Aero Glass requirements are nuts. I thought Core Image was bad enough as it is.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I was about to suggest the same thing. The last G3 iBooks are about 3 years old, and Apple typically allows about 5 years before dropping support for systems.

22. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

I really don't think so, with 1GB being the smallest acceptable amount, how that gonna work out with the 2GB max on the laptops?

23. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

How do you know this?? Do you have any reliable sources? Do you even have an Apple computer?
    Im calling fake on this one.

:p

24. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Umm...the slowest machine that Tiger supports is a Power Mac (350 MHz B&W G3). I guess not every Power Mac owner upgrades regularly...

25. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Furthermore there won't be a 10.6 ;)