Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Uh, right ....

You've just resigned yourself to living in the past then, as did so many of the old MacOS users when OS X was first released.

The "iPadification process" is all part of the big picture, because like it or not, the future of computing is about users working with both full-blown computer systems and portable devices like the iPad or a smartphone, and expecting an increasing level of integration between them. (Thanks, Mountain Lion, for finally unifying the Tasks and Notes so they're actually useful for me! If I'm at my Mac and want to type up a quick grocery list, I can do it and know that it's going to appear on my iPhone in my coat pocket that I'll take to the store with me. That's the type of functionality we expect these days.)

10.6.8 is still Apple's best OS. Lion and Mountain Lion are just bloatware that went through the iPadification process. I'm not 'upgrading' to any new release of OS X until they improve on performance and stability and bring back Expose to what it used to be. Also, get rid of versions.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
You've just resigned yourself to living in the past then, as did so many of the old MacOS users when OS X was first released.

The "iPadification process" is all part of the big picture, because like it or not, the future of computing is about users working with both full-blown computer systems and portable devices like the iPad or a smartphone, and expecting an increasing level of integration between them. (Thanks, Mountain Lion, for finally unifying the Tasks and Notes so they're actually useful for me! If I'm at my Mac and want to type up a quick grocery list, I can do it and know that it's going to appear on my iPhone in my coat pocket that I'll take to the store with me. That's the type of functionality we expect these days.)

I wouldn't call anything non-mobile from Apple a 'full blown computer' seeing how that term could only be relevant to the Mac Pro line which it in itself has been a complete disaster for the last 4 years, Apple has effectively ignored professionals and catered to the iToy crowd.

Yeah, I get it that its a business and Apple doesnt care about consumers as much as they do about profits, but that doesnt take away from my distaste for their new business model or OS X's progress... for professionals, its been a terrible experience with Apple for the last while.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
What I'd like to know (or see confirmed somewhere) is what version of Snow Leopard is on the actual DVD that you get when buying this? Hopefully it is 10.6.8 so that it supports newer Macs than the previous DVD releases I've seen that were all 10.6.3.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
10.6.8 is still Apple's best OS. Lion and Mountain Lion are just bloatware that went through the iPadification process. I'm not 'upgrading' to any new release of OS X until they improve on performance and stability and bring back Expose to what it used to be. Also, get rid of versions.

My Airdrop use says you're wrong about bloatware. There is a bunch of things are are useless, but along with them are tons of great features I didn't know I needed until they weren't available anymore when using my sisters computer.

I trust Ive to fix the broken interface.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
What I'd like to know (or see confirmed somewhere) is what version of Snow Leopard is on the actual DVD that you get when buying this? Hopefully it is 10.6.8 so that it supports newer Macs than the previous DVD releases I've seen that were all 10.6.3.

This would be awesome actually, I bought a 2011 MacBook Pro that shipped with 10.7 but found it to be a nightmare to work with. I had to get my hands on a 10.6.3 release copy of Snow Leopard specifically for my MacBook Pro... wasn't easy. I wish there were ways to 'downgrade' from 10.8 to 10.6.8 on newer Macs as well.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
iOSification or iPadification are definition-less complaints with absolutely no foundation in logic.

If we're taking about the x-fication of something shouldn't there be discussion on the impact of such features or ideology?

Routinely the terms are tossed out as some pejorative statement against the newer OS X version without any peer review.

The filesystem is still in OS X. I haven't actually lost any features so iPadification of OS X is likely going to be a surplus of features if anything.

Having OS X 10.6 on the website makes total sense. There are a lot of people that need to be able to upgrade cheaply.

Plus it was sickening to see people on Amazon.com trying to sell their OS X Snow Leopard discs for $200

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
Ignorant and baseless? Yeah, not like me having worked on Snow Leopard for 3 years has anything to be experienced with or have any basis of my dislikes for the gimping of 10.7 and 10.8.

Thank you, for that wonderful and well thought out response, I'm now convinced that I'm wrong.

Yes. Ignorant and baseless. "and get rid of versions" - how isn't this ignorant. If this feature is of no use for you it by no means is standing in your way of doing things. Just don't use it.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
What would be nice is if they released Safari 6 for Snow Leopard. If they're going to release new versions every year or so, they need to support more than just the 2 most recent versions. At least iTunes 10 works, though we'll see about version 11.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
This would be awesome actually, I bought a 2011 MacBook Pro that shipped with 10.7 but found it to be a nightmare to work with. I had to get my hands on a 10.6.3 release copy of Snow Leopard specifically for my MacBook Pro... wasn't easy. I wish there were ways to 'downgrade' from 10.8 to 10.6.8 on newer Macs as well.

Exactly. I would pick up a copy of this if it's actually 10.6.8 on the disc. That would mean it would support installs directly from the DVD for all 2010 and early 2011 Macs without having to jump through hoops like what you described with your MacBook Pro.

FooMan2011

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
That's absolutely rediculous. That's like saying I have to buy the 4S before I buy the 5 because I currently own the 3GS.... Capitalism at its best.

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Yes. Ignorant and baseless. "and get rid of versions" - how isn't this ignorant. If this feature is of no use for you it by no means is standing in your way of doing things. Just don't use it.

The problem with ignoring versions is I have to stop using Preview and Textedit. These are 2 programs I use everyday and, along with expose, convinced me to buy a Mac. My problem with versions is not Save As. It's the beachballs it causes when quitting unsaved documents on slower hard drives. Also, it feels slow, the versions interface is limited and is not keyboard friendly. Adapting to new features is easy when they work better than the ones they replaced. This is all subjective of course.

I believe the only reason Apple re-released Snow Leopard was to remove the price gougers. We wont be seeing any further support for it

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Indeed - All I wanted out of Lion was the fullscreen apps feature, and all I wanted out of Mountain Lion was Messages (which is more like an application rather than an OS feature).

----------

Plus it was sickening to see people on Amazon.com trying to sell their OS X Snow Leopard discs for $200

Them scalpers ain't going to be happy about this :D

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
So does this mean I can install Snow Leopard on my 2012 iMac via the App Store? I still use Snow Leopard on my 2008 white Macbook and it's a dream. I like the squared off buttons on Lion, and I love the snowy dock of Mountain Lion but aesthetic enhancements don't make up for crap that is Lion/ML.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I think It's great, but won't it cause some problems & confusion? Assuming that it's not been updated to support new macs..

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Cool but I still have my original CD in case I want to go backwards with my OS.

Speaking of moving forward. Can someone please inform me why I should move from Lion to Mountain Lion? It seems many on here have a distaste for Lion. It seems fine and stable for me...

MichaelJohnston

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
San Luis Obispo

For what it's worth, you CAN bring back the old Exposé in Mountain Lion. System Preferences > Mission Control > uncheck "Group Windows by Application" and you're good.

As for performance issues, they do still exist.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
For what it's worth, you CAN bring back the old Exposé in Mountain Lion. System Preferences > Mission Control > uncheck "Group Windows by Application" and you're good.

Expose on Mountain Lion is still ****... They can't even arrange the windows properly. At least Snow Leopard presented them in a grid layout.

Cool but I still have my original CD in case I want to go backwards with my OS.

Speaking of moving forward. Can someone please inform me why I should move from Lion to Mountain Lion? It seems many on here have a distaste for Lion. It seems fine and stable for me...

You have not had an in-depth usage of OS X to experience the ****** works of the ForStalled and the Ferengi... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
So does this mean that iTunes 11 will run on SL?

The newest iPhone and iPads work on 10.6.8, so I imagine/hope that iTunes 11 would as well.

----------

The problem with ignoring versions is I have to stop using Preview and Textedit. These are 2 programs I use everyday and, along with expose, convinced me to buy a Mac. My problem with versions is not Save As. It's the beachballs it causes when quitting unsaved documents on slower hard drives. Also, it feels slow, the versions interface is limited and is not keyboard friendly. Adapting to new features is easy when they work better than the ones they replaced. This is all subjective of course.

I believe the only reason Apple re-released Snow Leopard was to remove the price gougers. We wont be seeing any further support for it

Another explanation is to retain their iTunes user base when iTunes 11 is released.
The new iPhone/iPads support 10.6.8.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
I don't get why people likes SL so much and thinks that Lion and ML are junk. I love to use Multi-touch gestures on my Mac, it makes things so much easier. I love Mission Control as well, and the ability to add multiple desktops and see all the windows in one flick is just something that I can't do on Windows. Apple is not adding a touch screen to their computers and forcing everybody to use their touch interface or anything. I think that the iOS features are a great addition to the Mac, not a replacement like Windows 8.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I get Exposé, but seriously, what's wrong with Versions? I've recovered many documents and unwanted changes with it. A great feature.
The fact that it isn't a user controllable option and the fact that it has the same problems as every other version control software out there. Since you can not turn it off it conflicts with people who use their own version control software. You don't want the versioning done in the file, you want it done in the vcs itself where you can have comments and many other features to resolve problems. However, any vcs has problems with large files and especially ones that are binary. They have to save the entire file for each new version which will use up large amounts of diskspace. Since everything is automatic (the user has no say in this at all) it means that the versioning system is controlling your diskspace as well as your versions. Other problems with Versions are the inability to create copies (or clones if you will) easily and properly (aka the "save as" problem).

The Expose argument is an invalid one as of Mountain Lion because that one works exactly like Snow Leopard does. I think the problem in this is Mission Control: it combines Expose with Spaces which some find annoying but most others seem to find a good solution (there is a better overview of the various windows and spaces, very useful if you are looking for something less specific).

The problem with Versions is that you don't get that choice. If the programmer implemented it you have absolutely no choice but to use it. The user does not decide but Apple and the application do. The only way you can circumvent the use of Versions is by using applications that do not implement it.

Expose on Mountain Lion is still ****... They can't even arrange the windows properly. At least Snow Leopard presented them in a grid layout.
That way of doing it was the number 1 rant on this board when SL came out. Loads of people disliked that way of doing it and they were even going as far as porting the Leopard or Lion Expose version to Snow Leopard.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Everyone is bracing for the tablet apocalypse, but I guess is a good sign that the desktop environment isn't going extinct... Not that I ever thought it would. I just figure that once everyone got all hot for tablets the trend would rebound at some point to be more balanced when people realized that the old GUI environments had their benefits. Maybe that's happening sooner than I thought it would.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Why the hell won't Apple release icloud apps like message and notes via app store? I mean for those who won't move beyond SL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.