Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I was having serious doubts about Apple (they released the new Mac Mini with a defective HDMI output), I read that SL will become available again. And why not? It is THE BEST OS 10 version that Apple ever released. And if they can make a few $$ selling something that is pure profit....its a win/win.

Now please go fix the Mac Mini so I can pick one up!!!

They never stopped selling it. You could always call up and order it directly even when it wasn't on the store.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
The equivalent of MS re-releasing windows XP, I can just imagin the comments.

It just goes to show how little apple improved its OS since then.

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
I get Exposé, but seriously, what's wrong with Versions? I've recovered many documents and unwanted changes with it. A great feature.

Sure you can recover documents... But imagine you have loads of versions of a very long document every day. Try scrolling through versions and looking for that change you want to undo. No piece of cake. What more is that hot corners are always being triggered through the interface. Obviously not thoroughly tested by Apple. Just another addition to the features list.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Sure you can recover documents... But imagine you have loads of versions of a very long document every day. Try scrolling through versions and looking for that change you want to undo. No piece of cake. What more is that hot corners are always being triggered through the interface. Obviously not thoroughly tested by Apple. Just another addition to the features list.

So you would rather not have a solution to find a version you are looking for? and thus unable to recover a document before changes are made? or what exactly?

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
So you would rather not have a solution to find a version you are looking for? and thus unable to recover a document before changes are made? or what exactly?

How did you manage before this feature?

Also, can you imagine how much space would be eaten up with larger projects????

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
How did you manage before this feature?

Also, can you imagine how much space would be eaten up with larger projects????

I managed fine without a cell phone many years too, yet it has proven to be quite useful....same with versions

Before, I would, at times, manually save documents with different date stamps until it was complete. Quite inelequent compared to versions

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
In my humble opinion...

The equivalent of MS re-releasing windows XP, I can just imagin the comments.

...People's faith would be restored in Microsoft. There's a reason half of all Windows users still use XP. If XP SP 5 came out with Direct X 11 support, I guarantee you it would win the lion's share of Windows users.

IMO, Snow Leopard is analogous to XP, and Mountain Lion is analogous to Windows 7. If you fiddle enough with Snow Leopard, it's not all that bad - but it's slower and more bloated and won't run as fast on your older hardware.

Snow Leopard does really well what 99% of all people need a computer to do. Mountain Lion adds a slew of new features that I have no interest in.

To all the people mocking love of Snow Leopard, do you not believe that at some point, a tool can be good and complete, and that it really is possible that if you change it just for the sake of change you are actually breaking it? It's not the same as comparing Snow Leopard to DOS - there are useful things you can do in SL that you can't do in ML - they took away very convenient things. But I am hopeful 3rd party programmers can largely bring them back, so when I can finally afford new hardware...

But in the long term view of things, I totally admit that OS-X and iOS have to merge somehow. And let's face it - Apple sells 300 million iOS devices a year and about 50 million Macs a year....

Last edited:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
You've just resigned yourself to living in the past then, as did so many of the old MacOS users when OS X was first released.

The "iPadification process" is all part of the big picture, because like it or not, the future of computing is about users working with both full-blown computer systems and portable devices like the iPad or a smartphone, and expecting an increasing level of integration between them. (Thanks, Mountain Lion, for finally unifying the Tasks and Notes so they're actually useful for me! If I'm at my Mac and want to type up a quick grocery list, I can do it and know that it's going to appear on my iPhone in my coat pocket that I'll take to the store with me. That's the type of functionality we expect these days.)

Who is we? I assume you mean you and your family not "we" as the greater mac using community.

Lion and Mountain Lion really didn't bring tangible benefits to my portables they did bring new graphic cards to the MP and Hack.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I managed fine without a cell phone many years too, yet it has proven to be quite useful....same with versions

Before, I would, at times, manually save documents with different date stamps until it was complete. Quite inelequent compared to versions

There isn't much control over this anyway. I work a lot with the adobe creative suite and often times clients will want concepts and then revisions and again revisions of previous revisions. Things get crazy and its much easier to do a simple old school 'save as' with proper naming convention than versions.

I don't know how Lion and ML handle CS5 or CS6 but I pray to god that when I am forced to switch to the newer OS, that Adobe hasn't gone stupid and implemented this ridiculous versions system from Apple. And if its there by default, there better be a way to turn off that garbage.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
There isn't much control over this anyway. I work a lot with the adobe creative suite and often times clients will want concepts and then revisions and again revisions of previous revisions. Things get crazy and its much easier to do a simple old school 'save as' with proper naming convention than versions.

I don't know how Lion and ML handle CS5 or CS6 but I pray to god that when I am forced to switch to the newer OS, that Adobe hasn't gone stupid and implemented this ridiculous versions system from Apple. And if its there by default, there better be a way to turn off that garbage.

There is it's called Windows, I been playing with CS 6 in Windows in the last few weeks on the MP and it Ps, Ai the two things I use most work better than on the Mac.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
There is it's called Windows, I been playing with CS 6 in Windows in the last few weeks on the MP and it Ps, Ai the two things I use most work better than on the Mac.

I have Windows 7 as well and while its definitely Microsoft's best OS, I have no reason to switch to it from Snow Leopard as it still works perfectly fine. Like someone else mentioned, SL is a perfect blend of functionality, stability and optimization where as 10.7 and 10.8 added nothing crucial.

I'll explore my options when Snow Leopard starts being unsupported.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I have Windows 7 as well and while its definitely Microsoft's best OS, I have no reason to switch to it from Snow Leopard as it still works perfectly fine. Like someone else mentioned, SL is a perfect blend of functionality, stability and optimization where as 10.7 and 10.8 added nothing crucial.

I'll explore my options when Snow Leopard starts being unsupported.

That'll most likely happen this year, which is why I'm exploring.

anvikapur

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple is once again selling OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on the Apple Online Store for $19.99. The return was noticed by the French site MacGeneration. Apple had pulled Snow Leopard from its site after Mountain Lion was released earlier this year.

This is significant because Snow Leopard is required to run the more recent versions of iTunes that newer iOS devices require, and it is also the last OS X operating system that could only be purchased on physical media.

For users who want to upgrade from Leopard to Lion, they need to purchase Snow Leopard in order to gain access to the Mac App Store.

Article Link: OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Again Available on the Apple Online Store

thanks for sharing the info on snow leopard again on apple online store and its cost

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Funny thing happened today. I didn't have a copy of Keynote on my computer and in the past I had always used the free trials. So I downloaded it from the Mac App Store. I tried using iMovie for a presentation I'm making instead, but iMovie is a hot mess.

I noticed right away how old Keynote was: it's 09, it still has the badge to send documents to iWork.com which doesn't exist, in the inspector it uses the QT 7 icon, it still has an export option to iDVD which hasn't been shipping with Macs in a long time, etc.

However, it is the same beautiful, intuitive (and there is a difference between intuitive and simple) application I have loved for years.

And I thought to myself, why is this so much better than Apple's other recent Mac apps (iMovie and iPhoto and many others)?

And then I thought, "It's because Apple hasn't touched it in four years!"

All that is to say, I get the love for Snow Leopard. I'm still running it on my iMac, and it works great. I've had too many issues with Lion and ML to list here.

I hope Apple gets back to good quality, intuitive software.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
10.6.8 is still Apple's best OS. Lion and Mountain Lion are just bloatware that went through the iPadification process. I'm not 'upgrading' to any new release of OS X until they improve on performance and stability and bring back Expose to what it used to be. Also, get rid of versions.

Agree 100% ... Snow Leopard and since it's been downhill.

Mountain Lion is ugly...

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
...People's faith would be restored in Microsoft. There's a reason half of all Windows users still use XP.
Yes they dont have a clue how to update.

And half is far from reality

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201210-201210-bar

try 20%

If XP SP 5 came out with Direct X 11 support, I guarantee you it would win the lion's share of Windows users.
Yes because people wont use the better 7 or 8? Even vista at this point is better (was from SP2) then XP.

IMO, Snow Leopard is analogous to XP, and Mountain Lion is analogous to Windows 7. If you fiddle enough with Snow Leopard, it's not all that bad - but it's slower and more bloated and won't run as fast on your older hardware.
And with 7 and 8 its actually the reverse, its easier to use and faster .

To all the people mocking love of Snow Leopard, do you not believe that at some point, a tool can be good and complete, and that it really is possible that if you change it just for the sake of change you are actually breaking it? It's not the same as comparing Snow Leopard to DOS - there are useful things you can do in SL that you can't do in ML - they took away very convenient things. But I am hopeful 3rd party programmers can largely bring them back, so when I can finally afford new hardware...

But in the long term view of things, I totally admit that OS-X and iOS have to merge somehow. And let's face it - Apple sells 300 million iOS devices a year and about 50 million Macs a year....

OSX can be vastly improved, but apple seems to have taken te wrong turn.

Hehe! SL was a great OS. I upgraded to Lion and boy was that painful. Only now have I got it to run stable. It took rebuilding the drive and file structures to do it and it seems ok now. Would like to upgrade to ML but Apple wont let me. It thinks I have thousands of pounds to pull out my ass for new hardware to run what is a Service Pack 1 for Lion. So its a no go. Shame as I would like to install it as reports say it runs very well.

Reading this article I partitioned my drive and installed SL again. I miss that little start up tune that came with the Leopard series and it was great hearing it during the install! Hehe!

SL still feels more polished than Lion overall IMO and still quick. :D

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I miss Snow Leopard so much. A Mac made sense as a Mac on Snow Leopard. Now a Mac on Mountain Lion is a computer with an identity crisis, trying to be an iPad.

If you want identity crisis, use Windows 8. I've used every version of OS X, and believe me, all of them have had their challenges with forums crammed full of tips and tricks to get around features or perceived limitations that Apple introduced. ML is no exception, but in no way do I feel like I am using an iPad, not even close.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.