OS X 10.9 Activity Ramping Up as Speculation on Developer Preview Release Increases

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 4, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider reported late last week that web traffic logs from machines claiming to run OS X 10.9 had jumped from "a few dozen" back in October into the thousands last month, suggesting that the new operating system may be close to making its first appearance. MacRumors is seeing a nearly identical trend, with a significant increase in OS X 10.9 activity since last November.

Hits on macrumors.com from systems identifying themselves as running OS X 10.9 in January 2013
    Apple needs to test new platforms with a wide range of websites, and server logs can be examined to see which operating systems and browsers are in use, tipping off sites when a new OS appears. While such data can be easily faked in browsers, the trends currently being observed are consistent with past releases and previous examinations have shown OS X 10.9 hits coming from IP addresses associated with Apple.

Growth in hits on macrumors.com from systems identifying themselves as running OS X 10.9
    Apple has recently been launching new versions of OS X on an annual basis, with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion having launched in July of last year, a year after 10.7 Lion in July 2011. Apple released the first developer preview of OS X Mountain Lion in mid-February of last year, so it seems reasonable that the company could be looking at similar timing for OS X 10.9.

It has been rumored that OS X 10.9 will bring Siri to Macs for the first time, building on the dictation feature added to Mountain Lion. Rumors have also suggested integration with Apple's Maps, although the company has experienced significant criticisms with its maps app on iOS.

Article Link: OS X 10.9 Activity Ramping Up as Speculation on Developer Preview Release Increases
  2. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
  3. macrumors 6502a

Sep 11, 2011
    I've seen tweets from a few Dev's I follow that lead me to believe that there are a handful of people out there who already have some sort of 10.9 build.
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2011
    looking forward to seeing what new features they will bring. Although I think computers and phones/tablets are at a point at the moment where there is little extra to add so the revolution everyone is always expecting rarely turns up. New features are always nice though.

Look forward to it:)
  5. macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2006
    Where I live
    in before the "in before somebody speculates on a cat name".. oh wait...
  6. macrumors 65816

Mar 20, 2011
    What's more interesting is that apple visits macrumours.
  7. macrumors 68020

Nov 17, 2012
  8. macrumors 65816

Mar 24, 2010
    Windows 8 already has a Maps app, so it's not too weird for OS X to have it.
  9. macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2012
    is this going to be the "tick" version of the OS with lots of features ? hope so.
  10. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    Cougar, Liger, Tigon ... Voltron ;)
  11. macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2011
    Livingston, Scotland
    I hope Safari is one snappy bitch. Like my ex-wife.
  12. macrumors 65816

Apr 27, 2010
    Provo, UT
    Shhhhh. Be quiet. Half the posters here think that they know how to run Apple better than Apple does. If there is actual evidence that someone from Apple visits here it will only get worse.
  13. macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2010
    Hoping for more iCloud syncing features

Good to know Apple(devs) visit this site :)

Would be cool if they add some more features to iCloud. Like syncing EVERYTHING. Like if I set an alarm/timer it should be counting down on all iOS devices and on my mac(and alarm on the last used device)
    Like the messages app but now for all apps that I have on all three devices.
    iCloud tabs, reminders, and messages just isn't enough they need to push it to everything.

Seems very logical to me or maybe I'm lazy :eek:
  14. JAQ
    macrumors 6502

May 13, 2008
    Purgatory MI
    With Apple run on a need-to-know basis, it's the best source of info about products that are not the ones you're working on. Seriously.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to 10.9, aka...
  15. macrumors 68000

Feb 11, 2009
    cool, time for some new activity from Cupertino to happen. Nothing new since november, my iMac has been well used all ready, time for something new to look forward to :)
  16. macrumors 68030

Feb 17, 2009
    Nah, all needs Mountain in front of it now.

Mountain Cougar, Mountain Cheetah, Mountain Dew oh wait! etc.etc.
  17. macrumors 65816

Sep 5, 2011
    Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
  18. Guest

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
    Seems like the dev preview will be out in the next couple of weeks
  19. macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2011
    In light of the recent weird bug found in10.8.2, Apple might as well speed up 10.8.3 and release this
  20. macrumors 65816

Sep 5, 2011
    Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
    It's just too weird for a computer to have a maps app.

What apple should really do is just put google maps back into iOS. If they can't donthat, then at least they should open up a web version of apple maps and something like Google Map Maker. I think that they'd hopefully be at least decent.
  21. RMo
    macrumors 65816

Aug 7, 2007
    Iowa, USA
    Siri for Macs?

Siri for Macs? If this rumor is true and if it's like Siri for iOS, I guess it will only work for people who purchase Macs at or after the release of 10.9.

In any case, I'm curious for what new features this may bring. I see Maps is rumored as well, but I can't imagine much use for this on a Mac when there are websites that can do the same thing, unless they add cellular or GPS to the MBA (probably not).
  22. macrumors 603

Feb 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    At last, some OS X news! I love my iPhones and iPads etc, but Macs and OS X are even better!
  23. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Dec 21, 2011
    Yep. Just what the world needs... people driving around with their 15" rMBP's perched on their dashboard.

I can see the stock price going through the roof again.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Oct 22, 2011
    Comic relief?
  25. macrumors member

Oct 19, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Sir, you made my day !!! :cool: good luck with the next one!