Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tanker5

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Hoboken
I was just reading some rumors about OS X 10.9, which some folks believe will be named "Lynx". I was wondering what new features people are hoping to see in this new OS.

I would like to see:

- Siri integration
- The ability to run 2 or more full screen apps on separate monitors side by side at the same time
- The ability to enlarge the font on the Menu Bar

Any other ideas? Any new rumors? Please comment below.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
We'll likely get Siri and Apple Maps.

Hopefully we get a lot of performance increases, though.

Let the iOS-ification continue! :p

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'd be willing to bet that there's something in iOS 6.1 or iOS 7 (due out next year, if history is a reliable guide) that will make it into OS X v10.9. As for what that feature is, your guess is as good as mine!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Let it NOT! If I wanted a 27" iTOY I would have purchased it.

Afraid neither of us have a say in the matter. I'd rather they focus on making the Mac more efficient with the resources given, maybe beef up their software offerings that they already have, but I'm not head of OS X development.

It will continue, though.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I'm hoping they will continue to refine the built-in productivity apps like Calendar, Notes, and Contacts.

I really hate what 10.7 did to Calendar and Contacts, in particular, and while 10.8 rolls back a lot of the problems it still doesn't seem like the sleek and modern apps I'd expect from Apple.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
I'm hoping they will continue to refine the built-in productivity apps like Calendar, Notes, and Contacts.

I really hate what 10.7 did to Calendar and Contacts, in particular, and while 10.8 rolls back a lot of the problems it still doesn't seem like the sleek and modern apps I'd expect from Apple.

100% agreed. I'm still running Lion on my MBA because I'm afraid of Mt Lion performance hit that's so-often rumored, but the poor performance and design of iCal and Contacts is the stuff that legends are made of.

You'd think because Apple has complete control over these programs - and they are default standard for every Mac user - they would make them a shining example of what can be done. But sadly this is not true :(

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
100% agreed. I'm still running Lion on my MBA because I'm afraid of Mt Lion performance hit that's so-often rumored, but the poor performance and design of iCal and Contacts is the stuff that legends are made of.

You'd think because Apple has complete control over these programs - and they are default standard for every Mac user - they would make them a shining example of what can be done. But sadly this is not true :(

ML performance isn't -that much- worse than Lion.

10.8.3 is improving it, too.

I'd be more worried about what will actually come with 10.9.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002

I'm optimistic that having Ive in charge of both hardware and software design we will see significant (and good) changes in terms of UI "personality".

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
  • Full voice control of the computer, complete removal of pointer in UI.
  • 54 different hand gestures in the air.
  • 3D hierarchical navigation of files in Finder.
  • All files in Cloud; all your files checked for similarity to other people's, to allow instant collaboration and sharing of interests. (Combined with social media, you can make new friends: "Oh, we met online through our shared love of cataloguing pedigree pony phenotypes.")
  • All "OS" (as it will be called, with the merging of iOS and OS X) users instantly form networks as they move around. Also the ability to locate any Mac user who is friends with you on FaceBook.

joegullo

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
I would definitely like to see modifications to Pages and better integration with iCloud. I think you should be able to go to iCloud.com and be able to create and edit documents right there IMO.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I want tabs in finder and color in finder back and throughout the os.

I want the grey linen to start to dissapear, it's hideous and you could argue here that it's skeumorphic.

Graphics and animation. Open gl 4 whatever the hell is the latest I want it. And speed up the animations like in switching through desktops in mission control, toggling mc itself, make the reading list animation faster, the full screen animation faster, the tab overview faster ( and a mc like view would sweet.)

Fix full screen.

That's it. Oh, no it aint. Gimme Siri on macs around 2009. Thx. Don't care if the dictation sucks I want it, and you better gimme it.

Additional idea: Ok, so this might be extreme (probably is) but i would love it if Apple made the Menubar more customizable like the dock. How asks you?

Well, let me tell you dear. First, i want to be able to move it wherever i want; ie like the dock. So, left side, right side, and bottom part of the screen.

Next, Let me adjust the menubar size. Wouldn't this be sick? I got this idea btw, from someone else i forget who but he's in my thoughts :D. But, make it smart like the dock. Like the bigger the menu is, the bigger the text.

Lastly, since i have the Menubar for example on the bottom, like windows, i want to move the dock to the top of the screen, just for some FYI, I don't like the dock on the side it's annoying unless it's on the bottom side of your screen. And let me be able to show and hide the menubar everywhere like the dock. Fullscreen kinda gives you that but that's for an app only, and it ***** up your second monitor.

Last edited:

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I'd be willing to bet that there's something in iOS 6.1 or iOS 7 (due out next year, if history is a reliable guide) that will make it into OS X v10.9. As for what that feature is, your guess is as good as mine!
Apple has some ARM source code on opensource.apple.com. I think this means OS X 11.x.x runs on Intel & ARM processors, like Windows 8.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I want ... color in finder back and throughout the os.

I want the grey linen to start to dissapear, it's hideous and you could argue here that it's skeumorphic.

Or, and I know this is a ground breaking idea, GIVE USERS MORE APPEARANCE OPTIONS!

It's a crazy idea, I know. OS 9 and previous Mac OSes DID have a good number of OS color/appearance settings people could control to suit their personal preferences. It was a very good balance - the OS didn't give you so many appearance options that could be overwhelming or confusing to anyone, and the appearance choices you could select from were all reasonable and had no ability to be fugly or potential to interfere with interface usability (like older versions of windows had). There's really almost no downside to offering users a way to control the color of interface elements on their computer.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Hopefully they remove file management altogether. The iOS method of just having apps works better.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
Let it NOT! If I wanted a 27" iTOY I would have purchased it.

:rolleyes: give it a rest.

----------

If you're using an appliance, like a refrigerator. I, however, prefer to use a computer.

I think what he's saying is he'd rather have file libraries assigned to individual, specialized apps, since Finder alone isn't exactly capable of managing all files efficiently seeing as it has to standardize 'files' as we know them. Having specialized UI to manage sets of files makes more sense.

Why do you need traditional file structure, anyway? What do you "compute"?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hopefully they remove file management altogether. The iOS method of just having apps works better.

That would make a lot of people unhappy, as many applications still need external file management, even big applications people make money with.

I for instance dislike the apps, that want to do the management themselves, but I also understand, what advantage it brings to many people not very well versed in or tired of file management.
The current approach is quite acceptable, let Finder live for people who need it and let people with different needs the choice to let their applications handle their files.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
One of the two will happen:

A) 10.9 will feature appearance appearance customization

Or

B) No OS updates, just built in application updates.

Nov 28, 2010
located
One of the two will happen:

A) 10.9 will feature appearance appearance customization
What do you mean with that? Do you mean "theming", as in we can customise the look of Mac OS X? Or something else?

B) No OS updates, just built in application updates.
What do you mean with that? That OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion will be the last version and no longer be updated, or that OS X 10.9 will be the last version and no longer being updated or upgraded and that only applications will be updated?

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
What do you mean with that? Do you mean "theming", as in we can customise the look of Mac OS X? Or something else?
Yes, I mean customizing how OS X looks more than what we currently can. (Similar to how Windows allows you to change looks drastically)

What do you mean with that? That OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion will be the last version and no longer be updated, or that OS X 10.9 will be the last version and no longer being updated or upgraded and that only applications will be updated?

I was referring to how it seems OS X is only application updates and not OS updates, other than minor ones. Making it not worth the $20.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes, I mean customizing how OS X looks more than what we currently can. (Similar to how Windows allows you to change looks drastically)
I doubt that, since Apple has not allowed that for many years. Though since their shift of focus, it might happen though, but is probably not a priority.

I was referring to how it seems OS X is only application updates and not OS updates, other than minor ones. Making it not worth the $20.
It may seem so, but a lot of changes are also under the hood, away from customers' eyes. Notifications is not simply an application, it has to be fully integrated into the OS.

Anyway, I guess we will stay at yearly OS X upgrades for a while until they get something new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.