OS X 10.9 to Bring Enhancements to Finder, Safari, Multiple Monitor Support, and Multitasking

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 29, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

9to5Mac shares some details on Apple's upcoming OS X 10.9 operating system, noting that the update will focus in large part on "power-user" features while also incorporating a few more concepts from the company's iOS operating system. Among the enhancements said to be included in OS X 10.9, codenamed "Cabernet":

- New tabbed browsing and tags in Finder
    - Redesigned backend for Safari to bring "improved page loading, speed, and efficiency"
    - Ability to keep a dedicated Space or full-screen app open on a single monitor within a multiple monitor setup

[​IMG]
    On the user interface side, the report suggests that there will be some changes, but that they "will not be drastic ones". As part of a management shakeup late last year, Apple's hardware design chief Jonathan Ive also took on responsibility for the Human Interface group on the software side, and it seems to be unclear how widely any changes resulting from his vision will show up in OS X 10.9.

Today's report also indicates that Apple has been working on new ideas for multitasking that could be included in OS X 10.9, drawing some inspiration from iOS.
    Finally, the report draws into question previous claims of Siri integration in OS X 10.9, suggesting that changes to Apple's management structure have led to a complete reexamination of feature plans, and thus it is now unclear to what extent Siri will be integrated into OS X 10.9.

Apple will be showing off its next versions of both OS X and iOS and its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) scheduled for June 10-14 in San Francisco. Last week, tickets for the conference sold out in two minutes.

Article Link: OS X 10.9 to Bring Enhancements to Finder, Safari, Multiple Monitor Support, and Multitasking

2. macrumors 68040

Power user features....nice! Tabbed browsing in Finder is a def. plus.

Dual Monitor Setup is also a long time coming.

How about some iWork and Aperture love!

3. macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

4. Editor emeritus

longofest

wait... so are you seriously saying that safari... will be... "snappier"?

5. macrumors 65816

6. macrumors 6502

"Redesigned backend for Safari to bring "improved page loading, speed, and efficiency" Does this mean safari will seem snappier? ;)

7. macrumors 6502a

jent

I try to give Apple the benefit of the doubt when most people bash the company, but I have to say, features like multi-monitor support for full screen applications should have been done right from the beginning, or at the very least made right in OS upgrades like Mountain Lion, when they had already had more than enough time to review customer complaints, analyze the technical aspects, and test any improvements. That being said, I'm looking forward to the new features described in the article.

8. macrumors 6502a

hum... might just spring for the next revision of the imac to take advantage of the new features. My 2007 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

9. macrumors regular

dohspc

Better multi monitor support for OSX is definately something I'm looking forward to. Currently it's a joke compared to Windows 8 running in bootcamp on the same macbook.

10. macrumors regular

gregwyattjr

Thank the LORD for the improved multiple display support. I've been waiting for that one for a long time!

11. macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I wonder how the new multitasking system will work...What things won't be able to run in the background? :confused:

12. macrumors 65816

I assume it will be configurable by the developer.

13. macrumors 68020

14. macrumors 65816

Santabean2000

Finally decent multimonitor support. Long. Overdue.

15. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

That's "power-user" feature? :confused:

I hope it doesn't suck if it's ported to OS X. The first thing I did when I installed OS X Lion/ML was to disable automatic termination.

16. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

Snappier Safari?
    Tabbed Finder Browsing???
    BRING IT 8)

17. macrumors 6502a

18. macrumors 68030

This is all good news, as long as the new backgrounding systems aren't a disaster. Which after Lion I'm not super confident about.

It would also be nice if they would shamelessly steal some of Windows 7's window management ideas.

19. macrumors 68000

ideal.dreams

The dual display issue has been here since 10.7. Fixing it isn't a feature, it's a bug fix and they should be embarrassed that it's taken two MAJOR OS releases to correct the issue.

20. macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Which subfamily of Felidae will it be this time?

21. macrumors 6502a

MasterHowl

Finally some news on OS X!

I really really hope they do some under the hood improvements... 10.7 and 10.8 have been nowhere near as fast as 10.6 in my experience. I hope they bring some colour back to finder too...

22. macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

23. macrumors member

Actual release frame?

So Mountain Lion was announced in February 2012, and released in July 2012. Does that mean that if 10.9 is announced at the WWDC, it´ll be 5/6 months before the public release?

24. macrumors G3

charlituna

Most folks don't need it when you look at power users v common ones. What that vast majority needs is a system that doesn't crash because Safari is a
    RAM hog, or time machine backups not working, or wifi that is crapped out by an update etc

Heck the common user doesn't typically even use the fast switcher in Mac OS even though its been there for generations and its the essentially the same keystroke as Windows. (Yep there's a fast switcher already)

25. TylerL, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

macrumors regular

9to5Mac has the code name as "Cabernet" (not "Cabaret"), which is more likely to be accurate based on Apple's past use of wine for internal OS X code names (Merlot, etc).