OS X.4 Tiger and Comcast Cable Internet

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GregUofMN, Oct 27, 2005.

1. GregUofMN macrumors regular

Hey everybody--

When I got my Comcast Cable high speed internet installed at my house (Minneapolis suburbs) recently, the rep said that OS X.4 Tiger would not work. Luckily, I hadn't bought the upgrade yet. However, I'm itching to get my hands on it. Has anybody in the area tried it out yet???

Thanks,
    Greg

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I'm in Denver on Comcast and there are no problems. You just tell their poorly trained representatives that it's fully network compliant and to pull his head out of his windows loving ass. :D

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The guy's an idiot. As long as you're not using a USB modem, you're fine.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

5. GregUofMN thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using the USB one that they brought. Which one should I "invest" in? (I need to say things like "invest" when I want to tell my wife I wanna buy a new toy.)

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Don't invest. Demand an ethernet one. Or does your modem support USB and ethernet. If so, get rid of the USB cord and get an ethernet cord on that baby.

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

What is it with these idiots? It's always an Apple problem.

My mom has comcast, and their service went down. They claimed it was an Apple problem, even though the whole neighborhood was out. I had her tell them that was bogus, and to explain why their service worked with her mac for the previous two years but only now was not working (without any system changes, etc.)

Ethernet (and get that, not USB) is designed to be system indifferent. Macs are fully equipped to handle any standard ethernet.

8. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I would just like to add that i have Insight cable broadband and they have excellent mac support. The one time I called the fixed the issue within minutes.

9. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

It works for me?

I am in the Detroit area and I know of many people using Tiger with Comcast, including myself and I have 3 Macs all running Tiger and using Comcast internet service. The only thing that doesnt work is the little exe program that they want you to run when you have new service. But you can call and Customer Service can do the registration process for you over the phone. Took 2 0r 3 minutes tops. Bottom line who ever told you it doesnt work with Comcast doesn't have a clue.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm in CA and Tiger plays okay w/ Comcast cable.

11. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I also have Comcast in NorCal and it works fine.

A few hiccups with only getting one ip address, but other than that it's alright. The cable modem you get does kind of teh suck though.

What also sucks is having to pay $50/month when the $19.95 deal ends for me in 5 months...no wonder there isn't better broadband penetration in the U.S., it costs more than a drug habit! :confused:

12. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Greg,

If Comcast gave you an 'USB' cable modem i would take that modem back to the local payment center and ask for ethernet modem ..

As for Macs on Cable Modem service.. I'm on cable 'net now with Adelphia cable and once i connected the cable to the iMac, then i checked safari and i connected to the 'net .. no Cable Modem software needed on the Mac..

Like Apple says "Just Works"

iphil

13. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

Greg, as evil as comcast is, make sure you get what you want out of them. I (unfortunately) have comcast and it works fine with tiger. The guy probably took this job so his paroll officer wouldn't give him **** (at least that is what my guy did) You'll be fine.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sorry, your Mac won't work with the Internet. :rolleyes:

Everytime I hear (a variation on) that from a tech support person it makes me want break fingers.

15. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Thanks yellow,

For the laughing session :D :D

Some Cable Company customer service reps. still think that 'Only' windows can "use" the 'net.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Customer service support make me giggle @ times.. ;)

iphil

16. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I love the Comcast. Especially when the installer came out and tried to install the Comcast software. He told me that it wouldn't work because I didn't have IE5 installed. :rolleyes:

I told him I would call Tech Support and that he could head out. Five second visit to System Preferences and I was good to go.

17. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

It really is ridiculous how poor the training at Comcast actually is. I didn't even have the rep come out to my place. I went and picked up the modem and told them to turn it on. I hooked it up and it worked like a charm.

By the way this is Comcast in South Jersey.

Hickman

18. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Rocking the Comcast with Tiger installed here in Utah. I even upgraded to Tiger while subscribed :eek: . There techs are really not trained on how to work with Macs at all. But do get the Ethernet modem...much nicer.

19. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I know someone else who had a perfectly ethernet-capable laptop (Windoze), yet Comcast gave her a USB modem. What's up with these guys? Ethernet should always be the preference if it's available. She had major problems with the USB, we finally had her demand an ethernet modem and it worked great as soon as that was installed. I may have to switch to Comcast soon, since my DSL sucks huge ass, but I'm not looking forward to it.

20. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Every comcast modem I have seen has both USB and Ethernet connections. Check the back of the modem you may not need a new one. When comcast hooked up my moms medem they used usb because the installer was out of ethernet cables and was too lazy to go get one.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I agree with everyone else on broadband companies not supporting Macs.

Whenever I have to call Charter's tech "support", I just pretend I use Windows and can translate their canned responses into instructions for OSX

22. PBGPowerbook macrumors regular

just to add to the confirmation...

I'm in Minneapolis...and THE INTERNET WORKS!!!11 hahaha Don't worry

23. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Comcast in Fox Lake, IL...works fine on my mini - using ethernet based modem. However, I DON'T see anywhere close to the 6mbps they advertised...Still around 3, so I am yet to complain. Also worth noting that I did have to "activate" my account using a windows machine with some installer CD they gave me, but the install tech explained a quick call to customer service would have done the same thing.

24. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Heh, that's funny. I'm using Comcast in Oak Park, IL and I pinged my download speed at 5 to 6 mbps. My upload speed was atrocious, but I never upload anything.

25. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I figured it had to do with the fact that I am in the sticks up here...Of course once I call to complain, they'll say its because my computer is a mac! :eek: :eek: :)