OS X 4. TIGER -- is it worth it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MimiMONSTER, Oct 18, 2005.

1. MimiMONSTER macrumors newbie

On my home computer (iMac G4 w/ 10.1.5) I want to install 2 programs I just got but they require 10.3 or higher... ( I meet all of the requirements... and it looks good but..)

my problem is on the reviews on the apple page, ( http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...J2iSN0R31ycam0DD/1.0.15.1.0.8.25.7.11.0.1#rev ) there were a lot of articles written about how people couldn't get DVD pro 3 or Academic Final Cut Pro 4.5 to work...(and other programs)
    I don't have final cut pro 4.5 but I do have academic FCP 3 and do NOT have the money to upgrade it. (but I do use it and want to keep using it)

I was wondering if anyone here knows if they fixed these incompatiblities... or if those people in the that thread were not installing correctly etc.

Thanks for your time...

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I used DVDSP 3 and Final Cut Express/Pro on Panther... Tiger as an OS is awesome. No problems here.

3. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Apple will surely help you get one of their apps running on their OS.

4. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

I was running FCP 3.0.4 on 10.2.
    I am running FCP 3.0.4 on 10.4 now (reason - lack of funds to upgrade FCP). It works fine. It'll be ok.

The best way to upgrade is a clean install. A lot of people say that archive and upgrade is fine, but I see very few threads of people having problems who did a clean install. I did - saved OS 9.2.2 and just loaded on the apps again (including FCP 3.0.4) and all was good.

I had forgotten when I upgraded that you need the the free upgrade from 3 to 3.0.4 to run FCP3 on some of the newer computers. But after I loaded that it was fine. I even was able to "continue" to work on my project (media on 2nd HDD) --> don't get me wrong - I didn't upgrade mid project - it was done and I backed EVERYTHING up (and had my final copy on tape and DVD) -- - it was an experiment to see how painless it was - with nothing to lose. It was very painless.

Edit: As far as DVD software I would get iDVD in iLife 05 if you can spare the money for the ed version, it's cheap and good. Not sure if the DVD Studio Pro you have will work. I don't own that software.

5. MimiMONSTER thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everybody

Final cut pro is what I was most concerned with...
    you guys have been very helpful... I guess I will buy it ;-)

(it does need upgrade just scared of loosing the very expensive FCP)
    clean install seems to be the way to go...

Awesome thanks.

6. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Make sure you have enough memory. I'd recommend a gig or minimum of 512 mb if you don't have that already for Tiger. I'm running at a gig.

7. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Is Tiger worth it?

Kinda. Better mail is probably the best feature. Spotlight, Dashboard, Automator have many flaws and desperately need major updates. Maybe Leopard will be better.

But I wouldn't upgrade until at least 10.4.3. Tiger in its current form is a buggy pile of dung. Luckily, there is a big patch coming our way soon...

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

MimiMONSTER, Panther may be enough for you. A second hand copy from eBay would be much cheaper than a new copy of Tiger. Just a thought. I mean, I have Tiger and I wouldn't go back to Panther but anything is better than Puma or whatever 10.1 is called. :)

9. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Yes it's worth it...

Tiger and Panther are IMO the first truly impressive releases of OSX.
    So far, I have found Tiger to be vastly superior to Panther in terms of features, but either one is a very stable platform for serious graphics work.
    No problems so far with application compatibility on two machines here.