OS X acting up...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crenz, Jul 31, 2003.

1. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Suddenly, my installation of OS X has begun acting up: Every time I reboot, the dock is replaced by the standard dock. Safari will tell me upon startup that it has problems saving my bookmarks and will forget some preferences. Plus it will crash if I enter anything into a textfield (am posting this using IE).

I already repaired the permissions, but that didn't seem to help. Any clues?

2. Mblazened macrumors regular

3. crenz thread starter macrumors 6502a

crenz

Well, I did an fsck -y in single-user mode. That helped, but Safari still crashes more often than normal... *sigh*.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Before going to the trouble of reinstalling, create a new user and see if you still have the same problem.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: OS X acting up...

Did you run out of hard drive space?

Are you close? (within megabytes?)

if so, clear some space. Mac OS X can act very weird when it hits the Virtual Memory wall, and lose all your prefs.

arn

6. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

If you ran fsck and it came back with anything besides "[volume] seems to be ok", you should run fsck again.

As I understand it, as fsck fixes problems, it can uncover others that won't be fixed unless you run it again. In general, four passes of fsck is enough to fix pretty much every thing that fsck can fix. After that, you should go to third-party software (DiskWarrior, etc.).

Best of Luck!

7. crenz thread starter macrumors 6502a

crenz

Thanks for the suggestions (arn, you're doing support now? Guess there's not much news at the moment :) ). fsck didn't come up with any error messages, so I didn't start it again. It still helped
    :confused: I'm quite surprised -- on Linux, fsck seems to be much more verbose.

I actually did run out of disk space earlier and freed up space when I noticed it. The trouble I described started shortly afterwards. Guess I'll better make sure I don't run out of disk space again...