OS X and Celeron, Friends at last....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by terkwong, Aug 14, 2005.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    So, since you did it... tell us about your personal feel. None of that seemed astonishingly faster than my G4/800.... But enough people have commented that OS X seems fast on Intel hardware to make me take the comments seriously.
  2. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Aug 12, 2005
    Videos didn't seem any faster than my PB G4 1.5, in fact, startup seemed slower. But that's just my opinion I guess.
  3. terkwong thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2005

I think its difficult to compare with existing PPC systems.. but the Celeron isn't a speed winner anyway.... this is just a 2GHz system with 128kb L2 cache!
  4. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Jul 15, 2005
    Think of it this way: the Celeron is a low-end chip that is not supposed to be fast, and you think your PB is just a little faster? Intel is really kicking ass on OS X, 3.6 GHz is faster then dual G5's xD
  5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    I'll be able to get back to you on this tomorrow (my bro's having an early night, and it's 11:30 here anyway :p, and it's his PC)
  6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    Ugh... OS X on a Smelleron. I feel dirty just thinking about it.
  7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I can deal with the concept of OSX on Intel processors in general, but OSX on a Celeron makes me want to vomit.
  8. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    As much as I would like to believe the hype, there is no way that a 3.6GHz P4 can be said, in general, to be faster than dual G5 2.7GHz. For that to be true, OS X must be a so efficient OS that it makes the same hardware run several times faster than under Windows and Linux. That isn't the case at all.
  9. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    are you finding 640mb of ram to be a disadvantage? that's really cool...

im gonna be trying that as soon as my copy finishes downloading! got my ubuntu live cd ready to do the raw copy thang , got my hard drive ready, now all i need to do is figure out how to format my ipod as ntfs...
  10. mym6 macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2005
    Fargo ND
    I got this up and running on my main P4 system but it crashes on a PIII system I have sitting around. I also have problems running some software on my P4 system like iTunes. I can't get FireFox to run at all. Despite all that it's impressive to see OS X running on an Intel box.
  11. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Aug 12, 2005
    lol ok? And your comparing a 3.6ghz P4 to a dual G5, why again?
  12. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
  13. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2005
    New York, NY
    Thats exactly how I feel......

And there is no way that a 3.6Ghz P4 is better than dual2.7Ghz's. I think that the M's will be way better than the G4's as in the powerbook and iBook's will feel faster, but the G5 is still a great processor. Remember, we're not switching becuase PPC is slow, its becuase it sucks too much power....
  14. sambo. macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
    outback, far from the surf

i'm currently stuck with a 500Mhz & a 1.4Ghz celeron win '98 KakBoxes.

if i could get OS-X to run on them, i would lurve them.

i couldn't give a toss about my 'puter being a boring box rather than a groovy fashion statement, i like Apple 'coz the OS just works.....
  15. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    I installed OS X native on an Athlon 64 3000+/1024MB RAM. It ran like crap. I'm not saying that to preserve Apple's reputation or anything... it really, really, really ran like crap. The lag was atrocious and app startup was wretchedly slow. My G3/366 iBook ran it faster than the A64 did, and that's the honest truth.
  16. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    This is strange. Some say that it is faster on Intel/AMD and others say PPC is faster. Next year the facts will be known and software will have FAT binaries so that the tests are more fair.

I would like to see a Mac Mini in the Airport Express form factor running Intel.
  17. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004