OS X and mail

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cindy, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Cindy macrumors regular

I did read somewhere that there were some problems sending out attatchments to PC users -- can't open up pics etc.
    I did just that -- sent out some pics but, they couldn't open them.
    When I was using OE, no problem since there was a section to configure to other computers other than Macs.
    Any suggestions??
    Cindy

2. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

I don't know about Mail.app, but I do know that Entourage often encodes attachments where the files are not accessible to Windows users (I have the encoding set on Apple Double, for both Macs and PC's and it still doesn't work).

It was great. I sent my resume in .pdf and .doc format using Entourage (to a potential employer) and I .bcc'd myself. When I checked the carbon copy of the message on my windows machine, I couldn't open any of the files because they had been "corrupted," etc.

Needless to say, I most likely looked like an idiot to the employer (whom I have a hunch was using windows).

Be careful sending attachments to windows users....

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I send attachments fairly regularly to PC users both in the Uni and elsewhere, and I rarely get any problems, it usually stems from the recipient not having the same version of the application (usually Word or Excel)

I use the mail app under OSX now, but used Entourage for a while, with much the same results.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm with WinterMute, I use Mail.app for everything, and the only trouble I run into is incompatible versions of software, not computer platform issues. As for emailing a potential employer, Doh! that sucks. Wonder what happened?

5. whiskeybravo macrumors member

Of course if you are going to send attachments to windoze users, you MUST put an extension on the file name. This is the single most common problem. Also of course, they must have the app to open the file. Other than that, if you use the standard encoding in Mail.app, you will not have any problems.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good point. I always leave the "append file extension" check box on, so maybe that explains my lack of problems when sending attachments to windows users, which I do quite a bit.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

yeah my friends always get an error with docs and jpegs too. They awlays ask if i can send it in a format other then what i sent it in. I'll have ot try adding an extension first ....

8. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

Where is the "append file extension" located? The only info I can find (as far as help) is to change the default message format from Rich test to plain text.
    cindy

9. GregA macrumors 65816

I have to agree with this one. The extension makes the difference.

It would be nice if Mail.app could add a file extension itself to a file that hasn't got one. There would have to be a mapping file that took the Mac's 4 letter file identifier and added a 3 letter extension to a file.

10. zim macrumors 65816

zim

using the iPhoto mail option delivers non viewable jpgs to pc users as well, i always have to export the image and then attach it for any pc emails. i wonder if iPhoto does not apply the jpg extension.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I couldn't find it either. I've never had any problems myself, my family uses a mish mash of 95, 98, 2000 and XP and they all get my photos just fine. The way around this is:

If you have a photo named Flower, add an extension to it so that it appears as Flower.jpg, Just highlight the file and type it in. If it is a pic that you've scanned then it is best to do it when you've scanned the photo so you get the right extension, ie jpg, jpeg, gif, png, tiff, etc.

I don't know if it makes a difference but rather than use the paperclip to attach the photo, I just drag it onto the email body, it works fine for me.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's in the save or save as dialog box.
    edit: It's official name is "Add Filename Extension"

13. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

ummm... and you're using mail.app? I have sent a jpg photo to two people and neither could get it.
    that's when I add the jpeg -- while scanning .
    I'll try not using the paperclip thing. And do as you do - just drag it.
    What software are they using for mail?
    When I had my old computer and sent them pics, I just changed the setting to MIME and something else (can't recall unless I see the window) and they got the jpeg pics just fine.
    Well, I'll give it another try and see what happens.
    Cindy

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yep, I use mail.app and they all use Outlook.

One other option you might try is that if you open a pic in Preview (the default program to open pics) go to:

File
    Export
    and then choose the option, Jpg, pdf, bmp, etc. You might try exporting it as a jpg again and see how that goes.

This is a great feature and available in Apple Works, Preview, etc. I use it whenever I want to make a copy but don't want to print it out. It is especially useful because you can save it as a pdf file.

15. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, I like that preview deal! I just threw the pic in preview and sent it from there. We'll see if they can get it now. One thing I did notice, was when I sent it out that way, it went FAST. When I was sending the other way, it took FOREVER to finish sending.
    Great little features.
    Cindy

16. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

one thing i have noticed that i think is critical to this: put the file you are sending to a windows user at the end of the message. the times i have tried to send it to people with text after the file it has alway gone haywire. they get like 2 files, neither of which have the right name or extension.

also, i can't emphasize enough the importance of extensions, if not for interoperability, for your own sanity. it simplifies things a lot :)

17. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

jpegs still can't be read

Still can't be read by my PC users. I just emailed one friend and awaiting an answer as to what program she is using.
    But, before when I was sending jpegs through OE and using MIME, she was getting them just fine.

Mactastic: I cannot get into my save or save as box -- when composing. Only "save as draft".

Cindy

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

"To add a picture to a message:

Create a new message, then drag the picture file into the compose window. If your message is in Rich Text Format, you and the recipient will see the image right where you place it. If you're sending a plain text message, the picture will be sent as an attachment, after the message text"

I found this in the Apple help section, You might give it a try, change from rich text to plain text.

19. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

Did that already. Didn't work. I just sent her a jpeg in my hotmail account. We'll see if that works.
    Cindy

20. whiskeybravo macrumors member

Something sounds funny here Cindy. Are you sure the files you were sending before were JPG? Since you state that it took FOREVER to send them, it sounds like you might have been e-mailing TIFF files. That would not be a good idea as they are huge! When you exported from preview, did you add the file extension?

you MUST have an extension, you MUST have an extension, you MUST have an extension! (If you say it three times, it has to be true)

21. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

Oh yes, I'm sure. The first go around, I used the paperclip (attatchment) and that's what took forever to send out -- it was in JPG format.
    Next go around, I exported it from the preview -- again in JPG format. Went ALOT faster as a send out but, still didn't work.
    I sent my friend a JPG thru my hotmail account and I'm still waiting to hear from her to see if it worked.
    I have never had any problems sending out pics when I had OE or using the hotmail account. HO-HUM....

I've been searching and reading some old posts and alot of people are or have been frustrated with the same stuff I'm dealing with.
    It's just strange that some people have no problems with sending out JPG'S to PC users and others are.
    Cindy

22. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

Found this tidbit on Macworld:
    Customized Paper Clips -- To send a file such as a Microsoft Word document as an attachment, your e-mail program must encode the file -- encoding can be likened to using an envelope to send a newspaper clipping to a friend, rather than scrawling his address on the clipping itself and hoping it arrives.

Widespread support for the AppleDouble encoding format has significantly reduced the severity of problems caused by attachments sent between Macs and PCs, and most e-mail programs now default to AppleDouble. (For details, see "Make Peace with PCs," Secrets, September 2002.) However, it's still occasionally useful to switch back to BinHex (Mac) or UUencode (Unix or Windows) when you send attachments to people using older e-mail programs.

Mail, Netscape, and Nisus Email lose points for providing few encoding-format choices (or none at all), whereas Entourage and PowerMail deserve kudos for clear, helpful interfaces, and for allowing you to compress attachments automatically before sending them, if you have Aladdin's $30 DropStuff or $80 StuffIt Deluxe (888/245-1723, http://www.stuffit.com).

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Ok, I've heard that you can zip files too. zipit is a great unzipper and is shareware at about $15 through versiontracker.com

24. segastyle macrumors member

i work on a mac in a mostly windows environment at my company and am constantly sending files to people on windows machines. i am currently using the latest version of mail.app, and everything works fine when i just drag the file into the body of the email. doesn't matter if it's at the end. for files with resource forks and the like, people on windows machines will receive 2 attachments with similar names. one is junk (all the metadate info) and the other is the actual file.

if you use entourage, you can select to send attachments with windows incoding. this will eliminate the double file issue. i believe that entourage also has the option of adding extensions to files that don't already have them.

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Another thing you might do is run software update. There was a recent update to mail.app.....

System Preferences (in the dock)
    Software Update
    Check now

That would give you the most current versions of all Apple software.