Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Ugg: I already have the most up to date software on everything.
I downloaded Zipit. Haven't purchased it yet. I wish they would let you try it out before buying. I have sent a friend a jpeg file using the zipit -- she does have zip.
Don't know if it will work tho since I have not paid them yet.
This might be the easiest way to go (for now anyway).
Although if people don't have a zip file -- they won't be able to open it.
And if they can open my jpeg's in my hotmail account.... I"ll leave everything as is and go that route.

segastyle: What exactly are all your settings set at? This would be great if I could send jpegs as you do.
I tried the drag method last night but, they still couldn't read them.
C

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Hotmail should work fine, I've used my Yahoo account a few times like that. The zip file should work just fine, it's shareware, it just makes you wait a long while when you open it, but it is fully functional. Most pcs have winzip, or can easily download it, it is a common way for pcers to compress files.

Sorry I couldn't help you anymore than I did. I still don't understand why mail works sometimes and doesn't other times.....

I don't know if Graphic Converter came installed on your eMac or not, but it is a great image altering program. It let's you convert files, colors, sizes, etc. It is $40 if it didn't come with your computer. Many people call it the poor man's Photoshop. I use it a lot to trim and resize photos from my digicam. It's also good for turning pics into black and white or altering the colors.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Originally posted by Ugg
Hotmail should work fine, I've used my Yahoo account a few times like that. The zip file should work just fine, it's shareware, it just makes you wait a long while when you open it, but it is fully functional. Most pcs have winzip, or can easily download it, it is a common way for pcers to compress files.

Sorry I couldn't help you anymore than I did. I still don't understand why mail works sometimes and doesn't other times.....

I don't know if Graphic converter came installed on your eMac or not, but it is a great image altering program. It let's you convert files, colors, sizes, etc. It is $40 if it didn't come with your computer. Many people call it the poor man's Photoshop. I use it a lot to trim and resize photos from my digicam. It's also good for turning pics into black and white or altering the colors.

You did just fine. I never thought of getting zip before. That could be a good option to have. In the past, I had several people send me zip stuff that I couldn't open on my old mac since I didn't have zip.
I don't have Graphic converter -- When I want to customize any of my pics, I just use the stuff that I have on my scanner.
I'm sure all this will work out one way or another. At least there are options.
Cindy

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
MIME?

What is a mime file, when I send them to PC users, that seems to be what they get. what do i open them with? thanks everyone
Andreas

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
cindy, did you ever follow my previous advice? did you even notice it? i just want to make sure that this isn't just something as simple as that. it really shouldn't matter whether you send your friend a zip or an image, if you have a problem sending files, they will both be, well, f***ed.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Originally posted by Shadowfax
cindy, did you ever follow my previous advice? did you even notice it? i just want to make sure that this isn't just something as simple as that. it really shouldn't matter whether you send your friend a zip or an image, if you have a problem sending files, they will both be, well, f***ed.

Yes Shadowfax I did indeed see your post -- I just didn't write you back directly.
The files are fine. I know the extensions have to be there - properly.
That doesn't seem to make a difference.
Everything was fine in OE and fine in my hotmail account.
It's no big deal. I just won't send out attatchments in mail.app
I don't send out very many attatchments. Once in a great while.
I have my Hotmail account for those people who send me jokes and lots of pics because I don't want my regular account all cluttered up constantly.
Cindy

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by Cindy
Yes Shadowfax I did indeed see your post -- I just didn't write you back directly.
The files are fine. I know the extensions have to be there - properly.
That doesn't seem to make a difference.
Everything was fine in OE and fine in my hotmail account.
It's no big deal. I just won't send out attatchments in mail.app
I don't send out very many attatchments. Once in a great while.
I have my Hotmail account for those people who send me jokes and lots of pics because I don't want my regular account all cluttered up constantly.
Cindy
everyone else mentioned extensions, i don't care so much about that. the main point is, are you sending these files with no text at all or are you sending them with text? and if with text, are the file(s) at the end of the message?

i mean, seriously. you don't actually need extensions. i could send someone a file with no extension, tell them it's a TIFF image, and they could save it, rename it so it has one, and it would work fine. extensions don't seem to be your problem at all. we've just been reminding you of their importance for the sake of coherence.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Originally posted by Shadowfax
everyone else mentioned extensions, i don't care so much about that. the main point is, are you sending these files with no text at all or are you sending them with text? and if with text, are the file(s) at the end of the message?

i mean, seriously. you don't actually need extensions. i could send someone a file with no extension, tell them it's a TIFF image, and they could save it, rename it so it has one, and it would work fine. extensions don't seem to be your problem at all. we've just been reminding you of their importance for the sake of coherence.

I tried sending them with both Rich Text and Plain Text -- neither of which worked.
And yes, I stuck it at the end of the message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.