OS X and software firewalls

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Omad0n, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Omad0n macrumors regular

okay so I remember reading somewhere that OS X has its own built in software firewall. The problem is I can't create War3 games and I think it's due to said firewall. I believe this because other computers hooked up to the same cable modem semm to be able to create and host games just fine. also I know I posted a similar question in Mac gaming, but since the subject has sort of changed I thougth this was a more appropriate place. So how do I ge tto this firewall and how do I change the settings? How do I also not completely mess up my system? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Hey dude... I'm up the street from you in littleton. Anyway, aren't the firewall settings in the Sharing prefs?

However, I don't think it's the OS X firewall. Are you behind a router or anything? I am behind a router with a firewall at home and I can't create games either. However, when I'm at school, I create games just fine. But, I'm still trying to figure out how to configure the advanced settings on my router and let me create games with the firewall on.

3. Omad0n thread starter macrumors regular

damn man you hit the nail on the head. I don't really wanna mess with the router though cause i might screw something up. Also you were right about it being in the preferneces pane. And as I found out it's not even active. So I guess I gotta go hunting like you. Or maybe if I were to switch the port that War3 uses, but that's another thign I wouldn't know how to do.