Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Now there is a good amount of OS X native apps out there:

-Virtual PC 5.0
-Final Cut Pro 3.0
-MS Office v.X
-AppleWorks 6.2
-Adobe Illustrator X
-Macromeda Freehand 10
-Bryce 5.0
-Eletric Image Universe 4.0
-JBuilder 5.0 is about to drop (demos out now)
-Adobe Photoshop looks like its arround the corrner
-Adobe InDesine 2, I dont think its selling yet.. but its out there if you look hard enuph.

... and probably more. Very cool I give me more OS X apps!! I dont want to work in classic anymore :)

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
PhotoShop

I hear that developers are being seeded right now with beta version. OS X is the perfect enviornment for Photoshop. Full advantage of Altivec proformance and Dynamic allocation of RAM!! Its going to be great. I hope it comes out soon. Then I will just need dremwaver and flash and I will be all set.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
OS X

OS X does have the best editing software, graphics, etc. It also will be number one for gaming, once WARCRAFT 3 comes out. I think it will look so neat in 10

Disdain

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2001
Australia
warcraft 3 is going to make it best for gamming???
I cant wait for it myself but still don't think the mac will be best for gaming

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
Warcraft III will run absolutely smoothly on any OSX system!

As for the other apps, I am waiting for Photoshop, too. Always having to start classic is kind of uncomfortable.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
NetBarrier X is out too

got it lastnight... but need to install still. Its a pure OS X app. I'll let you guys know how it is. My understading is that you can get most of the functionalities of it out of sharware like firewalk and brickhouse. OS X has a build infirewall and these apps just put a GUI on it and make it so people that dont know UNIX dont have to eddit the files at the teminal. Im used to and leanred on Solaris and OS X is built on the System 5 breed of UNIX.... so things are a little diffrent. I cant find all the files that I need co configure.. Iguess I will use NetBarrier or one of the cheep ones.

Ctenactis

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2001
Other OS X apps

I'm running OS X sometimes, but am still waiting on some key apps before switching completely.

Any news on when Palm Desktop and fully compatible Norton tools are likely?

nigel_t

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2001
OSX apps

On the pro video side:
Discreet Combustion has been ported, I thinks its a great compositor, when you use this, After effects seems bland. Rendering needs to be faster so I want to see how the OSX version will stack up. AE is coming soon so is PS, Final Cut is there, Illustrator & Freehand are there.. All I need now is digital voodoo-FCP compatibility and AE plugins unders OSX and I'm ready to go. But wait a second plugins might take a while. But I expect digital voodoo to announce compatibility at macworld. I'll also be getting Lightwave 7 soon & maybe MAYA but I here its really slow.

denhur

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2001
running 10.1.2 i would like to switch to OSX apps too, having found native apps for almost everything i am still missing an OSX telnet application. I now still use mactelnet in the classic environment.

i have read threads from people saying that SSH in OSX can be setup to connect to remote hosts (via terminal) as well as the local host.

can anyone tell me either:
- where i can find a native telnet app.
- how i can connect to a remote host through the osx terminal

palm desktop is also long overdue in an OSX version.

thanx.
Den Hur

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Originally posted by denhur
running 10.1.2 i would like to switch to OSX apps too, having found native apps for almost everything i am still missing an OSX telnet application. I now still use mactelnet in the classic environment.

i have read threads from people saying that SSH in OSX can be setup to connect to remote hosts (via terminal) as well as the local host.

can anyone tell me either:
- where i can find a native telnet app.
- how i can connect to a remote host through the osx terminal

palm desktop is also long overdue in an OSX version.

thanx.
Den Hur

You can connect to a remost hots with the built in Telnet application in OS X. You just need to open the terminal found with the directory path of /Applications/Utilities/terminal.app Just open it up and type the command "telnet <IP or fully qualified addresss of remote host>"

or you can do something like this as well:

# telnet
#open
(to) <IP or fully qualified addresss of remote host>

thats it. You can use SSH but the remote host must be a SSH server and you must be a trusted user or you must have a SSH prbuil certificate. It all works just like it dose in other UNIX distributions.

[Edited by evildead on 12-23-2001 at 03:18 PM]

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
Rev-A iMac 466Mhz G3, 192MB RAM

hey evildead,

how do you like that 466mhz upgrade for your iMac? I've been thinking about one. . . does it use the mezz slot? or just the cpu slot?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Re: Rev-A iMac 466Mhz G3, 192MB RAM

Originally posted by DannyZR2
hey evildead,

how do you like that 466mhz upgrade for your iMac? I've been thinking about one. . . does it use the mezz slot? or just the cpu slot?

I like it. It gave me a big speed boost. It replaces the CPU daughter card. The Mezz slot had only one device for it ... and that company went out of biss. Sadly so did the CO. that made my CPU upgrade card. It was by newer technology. I dont know if anyone else makes one like it or not.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I'm waiting for...

Norton Utilites & Adobe GoLive 6.

Tomorrow I am going to go to an apple retail store and get all my X software.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
photoshop the most important app

without photoshop, the digital arts community will not fully accept os x and when it comes out, i am sure it will not be perfect so the delay of os x taking over fully can take another couple of years

look how long it took people to jump to windows 98 after its release! (on the pc side)

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
I don't think it'll be a couple of years, but you're probably right that it'll take some more time. However, when Photoshop is released I think a lot more people are going to upgrade.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: os x taking couple of years

many people will jump to os x with photoshop out

many will jump over when other apps like dreamweaver come out and by then it will take one year at least (dec 2002)

but for apple to drop os 9 support completely, and to have os x be the standard in graphics businesses and large graphics and publishing departments with all their intense printing needs?...for both of those to happen will be another 24 months from now...but maybe only a year and a half from now but no sooner

apps may be out but many drivers are missing, especially for networked macs and the process takes time

this is the most radical change at apple since the macintosh and certainly the most expensive

remember steve jobs made the comment his biggest mistake, in why apple didn't become number one, is because he didn't realize that apple should have been a software company first

the first person to realize the full potential of software was bill gates while other software projects by other companies and universities were not seen as a serious business propositions which could ever bring in billions...digital research saw this as a multimillion dollar business at best in which they were the leader at the time and never thought ibm or microsoft were worth their time...big mistake

so os x is a huge step and one not to be taken too lightly or too swiftly so those apps should be tested and checked out first as to not make os x itself look bad

so what, if five years from now, if os x took six months longer to take over?

i would rather have a good working os with good apps and be willing to wait...even if it took two years from now to get it all basically right

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
PShop X

According for my sources PShop X is ready to ship BUT is not yet up to speed with the OS9 Version.

Head of Adobe UK told me (at MacExpo London) that they were working on making it take full advantage of the G4 and 'advanced' versions of it to make it run at or over the speed of OS9

Guy

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
os x domination

hey classic, i thought go live was out two months ago!

jeez, this os x migration is slooww, but it is gaiing steam

the os x beta was out in january 2001, real full version on march 24, photoshop is now slated for april, dreamweaver in the summer of 2002, retrospect and network drivers by later in 2002, and all the major bugs out by early 2003

...hopefully

this way maybe, os x will be apple inc's sole operating sytem before two years is up and they will finally drop all support for os 9 and then we will all be on the same page

but something tells me there will be delays that keep this os x domination having some loose ends which will hold us until late into 2003

ps - word is out that os x is more efficient and like i mentioned before, it would be nice for some of us older G3 era users to take advantage of this sexy new operating system

my 2 cents

[Edited by jefhatfield on 12-28-2001 at 09:35 PM]

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
GoLive... GoLive... GoLIVE!!!

GoLIVE!!!

I just need a optimizer for OS 10!!! Norton Utilities 6 (not sure, but it's the latest version) does a really bad job of optimizing for OS X!!!

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Oh yeah... I forgot

In 4 hours its the new year!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.