OS X Attack Code Released, and iTunes AAC Security Vulnerability Patched

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jun 29, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to News.com, security researcher Kevin Finisterre at Digital Munition has released "attack code" to the public that can locally exploit the launchd daemon.

The code affects Mac OS 10.4.0 - 10.4.6 (excluding the recently released 10.4.7 and 10.3.x). The same researcher also created a proof-of-concept Bluetooth exploiting worm earlier this year. According to News.com, his actions are in part to show that Apple software is not unbreakable.

Also mentioned in the article is that iTunes 6.0.5 is quietly patching an AAC parsing flaw.

Digg this story

2. macrumors 6502a

dizastor

another proof of concept. This isn't cool. Eventually someone will release one of these things in a less than sanitary manner.

3. Guest

iGary

4. macrumors member

at least they released it after it had been fixed by apple.

5. macrumors P6

Peace

More bad publicity for Apple..Shows me that Apple is becoming a threat to the PeeCee world and because of this is coming under increasing PR attacks.

6. macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

They have released a virus in a less-than-sanitary manner: Skype. (Leaked Beta) It was an accident, from a bug.. If you want to think of it as a virus, that is.

7. macrumors 6502a

Yet another example of why you should always download updates as soon as they are released - they often fix issues, and often highlight previous flaws which some people then take advantage of.

8. Guest

caveman_uk

So it's not just willy waving then? Oh good. :rolleyes:

Seriously, Apple has one day to get people patched and this 'security researcher' releases exploit code on the web. Well thank you. At least it's only a local exploit.

9. macrumors member

exactally what i was thinking bro! i like living in my wee bubble...

10. macrumors 68000

RichP

[​IMG]

As stated indirectly by mlr, still better than Windows. Unfortuneatly, Apple's high profile is going to make it more of a target, even if the marketshare is as low as it is.

11. macrumors 604

zap2

12. macrumors 68020

Gosh... a single proof of concept of a local exploit... :rolleyes:

This really isn't that big of a deal. Moral of the story: run Software Update regularly. Apple has done really well in patching their own holes, and responding to these types of "exploits".

That being said, nobody (even Apple) claimed that Macs are somehow immune to security exploits, attacks, and viruses. Nobody should be surprised that these types of things exist, and will someday have a greater impact on your workflow.

13. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yep.. the're too late IMHO. ;)

14. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Mac OS X 10.4.7 may fix it for Mac OS X 10.4, but Mac OS X 10.3 and earlier may have the same vulnerability. I generally feel safer with the latest O.S. release, even though new flaws will invariably be discovered, because at least the widely known flaws are fixed.

15. Editor emeritus

longofest

10.3 is not affected by the launchd vulnerability.

16. macrumors newbie

Who really cares? No software is "un-breakable" and nobody ever said that Apple software was. It is still, better, more user-friendly, and more secure than Windows.

17. macrumors 6502a

Jetson

I liked that worm crawling out of the apple graphic :D

18. macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I have to agree with the Water analogy posted above...

My mac alows me to be safer, not immune, and work better than I could ever do with Windows... And Apple does a good job of securing its software, and making sure that everything runs fine "out of the box".

"I'd rather drink water from my local restaraunt, than one in Mexico"

P.S. I'm Mexican to.... :rolleyes: And i still love my heritiage and home country!!! :D

19. Editor emeritus

longofest

It's actually a really old graphic we have on the system. We've shunned some of the older ones for the more classic "news" and "rumor" graphics (aka the newspaper and question mark), but I thought I'd bring out the worm for this one :p

20. macrumors regular

Cubert

Obviously, Apple is on top of things. Their latest releases patch the issue.

21. macrumors 6502a

iJaz

22. macrumors 6502

We really need a Slashdot-like moderating system.... -1 Troll!

23. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Damnit, who keeps saying that it is? Well, cut it out!! :rolleyes:

24. macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    *yawn*

So, really, who gives a damn? I don't want proof-of-concept. I want proof that it works in the wild. Come on now. Someone do something here. Quit making all of these claims. It's like foreplay without the ending. Ya know? WTF?

25. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Wait. According to the "security through obscurity" people, nobody is writing exploits for Mac OS X because of its low marketshare. How can this be? ;)