OS X Based iPods at Media Event in September?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 22, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Appleinsider claims that Apple will be holding a media event "in mid to late September" to unveil OS X based iPods -- bringing OS X to its entire product line.

The rumor site expects "as many as four new models" many of which will utilize NAND flash memory, as well as the long awaited "full screen iPod".
    Appleinsider also confirms that the leaked interface videos consisted of genuine material for use on a click-wheel based iPod, also bringing in features such as iLife '08 "Events", and CoverFlow to the iPod interface.

Also, they teasingly mention the possibility of a new family of digitial devices due in 2008 also based on OS X. No details have are available on these upcoming devices.

The upcoming iPod revisions have been the focus of many recent rumors, with the most recent Nano images pulled from various sites at the request of Apple Legal.

Article Link

2. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

Lets jusr hope the new full size iPods have large enough hard drives. 160GB anyone??

3. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

lets just hope (or i for that matter) that they bring back firewire support.

4. macrumors 6502a

fblack

I would like to see them bring back firewire too. OSX on the ipods is intresting anyone care to speculate what parts of OSX we might see? A wish list?

5. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I wonder if they'll look like this...

Attached Files:

• gal5.jpg
      gal5.jpg
      File size:
      113.4 KB
      Views:
  6. macrumors G4

Chundles

Not going to happen. They ditched it for good reasons. One, it made financial sense to cut out components that the vast majority of users wouldn't need. Two, it allowed them to shrink the device substantially.

7. macrumors 604

zap2

God, that would be nice....and out of left field too!!

I'm eager to see what Apple brings now....despite not being a huge fan of the new iMac Al.

8. macrumors 68000

echeck

Would be nice, but I don't see it happening. At least current models still charge with the firewire power brick.

I think this is great, although I doubt I will buy one. Had they came out even just a year ago I would have been all over it, but I honestly don't use my current iPod very much anymore. Anymore I would rather just have a nano for exercising and casual listening.

9. macrumors member

That looks awesome. Losing the click wheel type design would be murder for the iPod, its what makes it iconic. This would be a great way to intergrate this into a touch screen iPod. I'd buy that in a hearbeat.

10. macrumors 65816

kugino

though i'm planning on getting an iphone next jan. (when my verizon contract ends) i'm REALLY looking forward to the new ipods. if they have a full-screen ipod w/160GB i'm in...and a smaller nano would be nice too...yikes!

wha...? what ipod? ;)

11. macrumors 6502a

fblack

I'm buying! :D

I know, I know and usb is cheaper and firewire is not standard for most pc users. I just like firewire better.:(

12. macrumors 601

13. macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Apple could be working on a video camera. They just released the new iMovie with AVCHD support and they could definitely make the entire video process seamless with OS X based cameras. A bit of a stretch, but I am talking down the road a bit. Imagine a camera that takes still pictures and records video to flash and can upload directly to YouTube and Dot Mac instantly through the WiFi built into the camera. Maybe they could partner with RED to create it. It seams like they could really tie all of iLife into a device like this.

14. macrumors 6502a

fblack

Yea, I remember seeing that one. Except if it was the real Steve Jobs all the reporters would be buying the whole iRack!:D

15. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

16. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Well we have phones,mp3/videos players and computers. What else could it be? PDA highly doubt it, the iPhone fills allot of that rolls.

17. macrumors 6502

donlphi

The nano and video iPOD are going to consolidate into the final click wheel iPOD (iPOD Pocket Square). The top of the line $399 iPOD will be a phoneless iPhone. Kinda like Apple's version of the Dell Axim but focused on music and movies rather than taking notes.

This is all based on a some nightmares and dreams I've had over the last few nights. :D

18. macrumors 6502a

fblack

I like that idea, and it would be cool if you could use the wireless to upload to any iTV so you could show family and friends stuff from your vacation leaving out the need to upload it to a mac first.

19. macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Those 9to5 guys are taking all the fun out of this stuff.

If it doesn't come from them it's all ******** as far as I'm concerned.

20. macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well the back to school iPod promotion does end on the 15th of September so it would be a welcome to see some new iPods. If a true widescreen iPod is introduced I may have to ditch my iPod Photo.

21. macrumors 6502a

fblack

Obviously its all in the superior design...of apple products.

[​IMG]

22. macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Maybe I'm just in a pissed off mood tonight.. but that has nothing to do with this thread and it has no reason to be posted here.:mad:

23. macrumors newbie

I was thinking Apple should put it's touch on a consumer digital camera. Imagine the entire backside as a touch screen. iPhoto runs right on the camera. It's one of those devices just about everyone has but the interfaces need help. Decent optics are easy to come by. It's all about the in interface.

Maybe they'd skip the camera and go straight to video.

24. macrumors 6502a

fblack

Obviously you are in a mood. I wasn't looking to provoke anyone just making a joke and following the lead of some others who posted here (you know the post about the iRack and the other pic with the girl holding an ipod). I apologize if I offended you.

25. macrumors 68020

:)

I am sooo freakin' excited. I have been waiting for these FOREVER!!!!!! So does anyone think that the new devices could be some sort of home entertainment center/media controller??? Kind of like those tablet remotes they have for expensive home theaters. Or do you think they will make the iPhone or the new iPods do things like that??? :D

Apple will soon rule the world hehe :D