OS X Boot Cd Won't Load

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brsboarder, Nov 4, 2006.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to repartition an external hard drive, so I tried to boot the tiger cd, on boot up, it stalled and wouldn't load anything, ejected the cd, and os x loaded fine, what could be wrong??

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The disc might be scratched. Can't you repartition the external drive via Disk Utility on the boot drive? :)

3. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Did the Mac OS Tiger DVD really partially load or not at all? If you are booting the Tiger DVD on an older box, the DVD player may not recognize it. That was a problem I had a while back.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Or it'll have troubles if the disc came bundled with a different machine...

5. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

disks worked 2 days ago, thats not the problem, its in perfect condition, any original thoughts?

6. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I sure hope you meant other thoughts. Did you press the 'C' key when booting from the DVD? Are you extra sure the disc isn't dirty? If you have another machine, PC or Mac, see if it can be read. Also, will Disk Utility verify DVD to make sure it is without faults? Can you read over DVD disc on that drive?

7. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea u meant other, I was writing a paper at the same time and the wrong thought slipped in. Yes, i'm sure the cd is perfect, when I put it in when the computer is on, it loads fine, and asks me to restart the computer, I've pressed C, and tried it on another computer

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well try inserting it but not loading from it. Then, select it as the Startup Disc in System Preferences and reboot. :)

9. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

repaired permissions, reset pram and it worked, nothing else worked, very weird, but my system has been buggy lately