os x boot time

Discussion in 'macOS' started by breakfastcrew, Jan 21, 2007.

1. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

What are you some of the ways to decrease boot time on my intel core duo macbook? I have seen some boot time of less than 20 seconds.

2. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Don't start any apps or wireless. The quicker you get the less practical you'll find it.

3. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

just out of interest, why do you care? do you boot up often?

4. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

yes I turn off my computer when I move from one class to another.

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

So you actually shut down instead of closing the lid and having it go to sleep? Starts up instantly if you have it sleep.

6. EM87 macrumors regular

As someone has said, don't start any app's but if you are using wireless then leave that on. My iMac boots in around 15-18 seconds and it starts wireless every time it boots. I am really amazed by the speed of Mac's:eek: .

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Although I'm sure you are doing this for safety reasons of the computer you really do not need to do that. The computer has locks and failsafes to avoid any problems of moving the computer when it is still on. Trust me just closing the lid and carrying the machine safely will ensure that the machine will not be in any danger. Even not carrying it totally steady will do no harm.

Otherwise how long does startup take for you? Cause my iBook (year and half old) takes about 40 seconds to bootup, and for your MacBook it should only take about 15-20 seconds. There is little to be done to decrease this time.

8. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

You could drop in a 7200 rpm HD but that's going to cost money and you will loose battery life.

9. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

i believe it is more damaging to a computer to start from a cold boot then from say standby

The harddrives are churned like anything to ensure a fast boot time, and if the machine is also cold it wears it out even more.

I laugh at the people at my school when they have to shut the machines down to change class where as i just close the lid dont bother saving my work and just walk out.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sleep works well on Apple portables. I've kept my system on sleep while I'm on the road, charging it about every other night or so.

I wouldn't think to shut it down except in circumstances where it might be subjected to severe temperatures or other such conditions.

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

shutting it down between classes is unnecessary. i've left my computer on for up to 14 days and i know people who've left theirs on for longer.