OS X bootup slower with Windows Installed?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by djnardu, Feb 27, 2007.

1. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

Hi, just finished installing Vista onto my Mac. So far everything runs fine except for one thing. It seems that the OS X bootup takes almost 30 seconds longer then usual. The sad thing is that Vista is booting almost in half the time. I'm used to OS X booting very quickly, i'm wondering what could be making it go slower. I have OS X on auto boot.

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Hmm. On my MBP, Mac OS X takes a bit longer to boot after a reboot out of Windows. I think it's just something us Windows-on-Mac users are going to have to live with.

3. kinchee87 macrumors regular

kinchee87

You should try setting the default start up disk back to the Mac OS boot partition.

4. cherfizzle macrumors regular

my overall mac os x is slower even after startup. with vista installed on the other partition of a whole 16 gigs.

5. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It might just be a perceived slow-down. Do you know for a fact that it is running slower? I run XP in Boot Camp and OS X seems fine, I don't know why Vista would make a difference.

6. leroymuc macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem - after repartitioning my drive into three partitions and installing Vista on the third, I had a 20-30 seconds delay on every boot before the apple logo appreared on the gray startup screen. When I was holding down the alt key to get the boot options, they strangely appeared immediately.

How I worked around this issue is that I installed rEFIt, which shows its boot menu right after I turn my Macbook on, without a delay. Maybe you wanna try it too.

7. kinchee87 macrumors regular

kinchee87

Like I said before, you should try setting the default start up disk back to the Mac OS boot partition.