OS X Client on Xserve?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MoparShaha, Jan 3, 2005.

1. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I'm setting up an Xserve, and for my use, I think running OS X client would be a lot simpler than OS X Server. I've read conflicting reports of whether OS X client will install on an Xserve. Does anyone know definitively if it will?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know this isn't answering the question, but if you wanted to run OS X Client, why didn't you just buy a regular PowerMac?

Just curious :)

3. MoparShaha thread starter macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

It's actually not mine. I'm setting it up for a school lab, and they just need really basic AFP sharing and DHCP routing. They bought it over a year ago, and no one knew how to set it up, so it's been sitting new in it's box since then (don't ask me why they bought it). I tried to setup OS X Server, and it just seemed really complicated. What I could have done in OS X client in a matter of minutes is taking much longer in the server version. I don't need to setup Open Directory and all that other stuff, I basically want to share some shares and have the machine act as a router.

Since I posted this though, I've discovered that OS X client only allows up to 10 users access at a time through AFP, which will not do. So, it's a moot point, as I need more than 10 users. So I guess I'll trod along in OS X Server. I'm still curious though if the Xserve is limited to just OS X Server.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

An Xserve is still a Mac. It is designed to be set-up by people who have no experience with servers. Just accept the defaults when you encounter choices that you don't understand. MacOS X Server is not a different OS. It is MacOS X with extra functionality. You can most certainly install MacOS X Server on a regular Mac. Whether this means that you can also install MacOS X on an Xserve, I don't know. It would be stupid to do so, but my guess is that you can do it if you want.

5. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

There should be quite a few manuals in that box .. and if not you can get loads of material to set up services at apple.com ..

6. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Well, the Xserve tech spec PDF doesn't mention Mac OS X. Also, the Panther hardware requirements do not list the Xserve. I think that -technically- there is nothing that would keep Mac OS X from running on an Xserve.

But: Either way, I think Apple does not support, certify or encourage it. Their Xserve tech people are probably purely trained to deal with Mac OS X Server, and a Mac OS X/Xserve is probably not tested for stability. So for that reason I think it's possible the Mac OS X installer will simply halt with an "Unsupported hardware" message.

7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Setting up AFP is pretty easy in OS X Server. Did you install the server admin tools? There should be a CD that came with the XServe that has it (mine did.) Use the program called Server Admin- it makes it pretty simple to set things up remotely.

Setting up DHCP looks easy, but I've never done it...

8. MoparShaha thread starter macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, I'm going to just sit down with the Xserve all day tomorrow and figure it all out. It's just laziness. I know I can figure it out, I just don't want to devote so much time to it. Thanks for the replies guys.