Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Ok, so i have had this problem for awhile, i think it dates back to Maverick, maybe even before. We all have seen those self destroying notes/tapes/computers in spy related movies, thats exactly how it feels using the standard Dashboard notes, i write something down on them, telephone numbers, names etc, works okay.

A couple of days later though when i need that information and open up Dashboard, some notes that was filled in before are now blank, sometimes all the notes are blank, i had 8 notes in Dashboard a couple of days ago that where all filled with info, now they are all blank again.

Really annoying, so anyone else got this problem or know a solution, maybe using a different note system or app (yes i use the "real" notes app too but those stickies on Dashboard are pretty convenient for just quick notes), the most reliable note taking system is obviously a pen and paper but i much rather use a digital equivalent.

Thanks

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Never had such a problem before... Not in Mavericks, Yosemite nor El Capitan... This is the first time I've heard it...

Currently I have up to 13 notes on El Cap, always written and overwritten by nothing else but me, and they stayed there for months now.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Yeah i dont have this issue on any other Macs but this iMac destroys the notes/stickies constantly. Maybe my xxxxxx.widget.stickies plist file got corrupted or got wrong file permission during one save or OS update, the thing is, i got like 20 xxxxxx.widget.stickies plist files that ends with various A-Z0-9 combinations, like xxxxxx.widget.stickies plist.rzhj2ve, dating back from 2015 and the last one is from 2016-04-29, i´ve only got one of those on my MBP and that plist version atleast got some bytes to it (251 bytes), all of those on the iMac however are all 0 bytes big (but maybe that is normal behavior, i dont know).

Is there any point in trying to delete all those plist files, including the "real" one and see if it starts working correctly when OS X create a new one next time i create a note?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.