OS X Desktop Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by BadExample, May 21, 2002.

1. BadExample macrumors newbie

Anyone know how to change the "privleges", i want to delete a folder, and I cannot because i do not have sufficient privleges...
    There is a little arrow in a circle as well, anyone know hjow I can delete it?

Thanks

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

You can either do it with the Terminal if you're comfortable with that, or get a shareware app such as Batchmod that can do it for you.

You will have to have administrator access to remove files/folders you don't have privileges for.

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

From SmallDog

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: OS X Desktop Problem

Huh? Where is that showing up?

5. big macrumors 65816

big

rf works on folders if there is not a file in the folder (otherwise you wil get an error) & actually Darwin will ask if you want to rs that directory (folder), you will have to open the folder (often there are hidden folders within each other, that you must "cd" into, finally in the last folder you will have to do a "ls" then "rm *" all files. then "cd /(up one notch)" and "rmdir" what ever folder is there...then "cd /(up one notch)" and "rmdir" that folder... that was the process I had to go through or "rmdir Yourdirectory yourotherdirectory otherdirectory "

to change permission (chmod) from terminal, "cd /Volumes/(directory to your folder you want to change or delete, I suggest going there instead of just doing it)" then "ls" to view all the files& folders in that directory, then "chmod 777 NameOfFile"

pretty easy...and even easier once you do it 12 or 13 times...I'd suggest picking up a Unix book for some basic command lines and theories

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Try rmdir...

7. big macrumors 65816

big

yeah, note: I just corrected my last post...working on a house renovation and got lost on macrumors again...its late

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Then try rmdir -rf to delete a folder and it's contents...

9. big macrumors 65816

big

"illegal option -- r" with rmdir -rf, I should be able to "rmdir -r" htough that didn't work either....

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Then rm -rf should remove the folder and contents.

11. big macrumors 65816

big

"rm -rf directory" that did it...Darwin is a little bit different than others...that's why I suggested picking up a Unix book to learn the theories behind the command lines