OS X driver for dial-up 56k modem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Seekir, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Seekir macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2004
    I'm a late arrival in the OS X world, and upon launching OS X (10.1) immediately discovered my external US Robotics Sportster dial-up modem (which works fine in OS 9.2.2) is not recognized by my g4-733 when it's running OS X. I've been told that I need a new driver for the modem. Can't seem to find a new OS X compatible driver for the unit on the USR site and fear that they haven't bothered to write one. Anyone know whether one is available somewhere, or do I need to fling another piece of electric junk in the landfill?

System: Quicksilver g4, external USR 56K Sportster faxmodem(#00568902). Unusual aspect of this setup: External Modem is connected to an aftermarket serial port which occupies original internal modem bay - Apple internal modem removed and replaced with g4port serial port to permit use of serial MIDI interface for Hard disk recording of music.
  2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    i think that yoour only option is to reinstall the factory 56K Modem.

i tried to look for a 56K v.90 modem, for you, but could not find one for the Mac; with Mac drivers. I know that the B&W G3's had modems that people could buy, they were made by Global Village; but i think they had to be installed into the COMM port.

The only thing that i can think to tell you is to reinstall your old modem, and buy a external MIDI processor, that or get DSL or a Cable Modem.

Digidesign has a USB processor for OS X, this is what my brother has: Mbox