OS X DVD PLayer - PAL?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AtHomeBoy_2000, Mar 21, 2007.

1. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

I have a quick question. My wife is over in Spain and just bought a DVD about a local even going on where she is visiting. Even if it is Region Free, I fear it might be PAL and I don't know if my DVD player connected to my TV will play it. Will DVD Player in Mac OS X play PAL DVDs?

2. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Yes it will work.

Just do not put discs from other regions into your computer if they are not region free. You will end up locking your DVD-ROM drive. The lock is done by the firmware on the drive itself and has nothing to do with the OS or other hardware so it can not be unlocked.

3. phidauex macrumors member

If you want to play it on your mac, and it is a different region, then just use Mac the Ripper or Handbrake to rip the DVD, then burn another copy without any region encoding.

PAL is a video format (resolution and frames per second are different than NTSC), and your computer is fine with that, it doesn't care if its PAL or not. The region encoding is an arbitrary code. If you try to play another region disk in your drive (PLAY, not just insert), then it will ask to change the region of the drive. After 5 total changes, it sticks on the last change, which can't be undone.

peace,
    sam

4. Fillado macrumors member

Or you can just use VLC Media Player which plays any region disc on any region drive perfectly fine :)