Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OS-X-El-Capitan-Logo.jpg
Apple today released a new version of OS X El Capitan Security Update 2016-003, fixing an additional kernel issue that could cause Macs running the operating system to freeze up and become unresponsive.

The 2016-003 Security Update for OS X El Capitan was originally released on December 13 alongside macOS Sierra 10.12.2, but was today reissued with the fix.

Customers who have not downloaded the security update at all will get the new version when updating their machines, while customers who previously installed the security fix will receive a supplemental update to address the freezing problem.
The OS X El Capitan Security Update 2016-003 Supplemental Update fixes a kernel issue that may cause your Mac to occasionally become unresponsive.
Mac users who are still running OS X El Capitan can download the update through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store, and direct download links are also available (Standard Update/Supplemental Update).

The original 2016-003 update fixed a number of security vulnerabilities in the OS X El Capitan operating system.

Article Link: Apple Releases Supplemental Security Update for OS X El Capitan

Sinewave3

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2016
Finally!! Too bad the prior version of this update is making my iMac run so priorly that I am unable to install the new version...

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Perfect timing for me - this freeze happened to me and now my computers running el cap are running without issue

certainly recommended for all El Capitan users.

vlad_djkax

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2016
Brasil
Fortunately, neither my cMBP nor my Wife's (both 13" Early 2011) ran into problems after the original update.. Gotta get home in order to check those fixes.

Larry The L

Suspended
Jun 9, 2016
Man 10.11.6 is running fine on my 12" rMB do I want to rattle the bee's nest ?

No. Wait until you crash, lose your data, scream so loud you have a stroke, and then update.

Ugh, ANOTHER security update? Can't apple EVER get ANYTHING right?

;):rolleyes:

Aren't there any reasonable apple users that don't moan and groan the same anti apple stuff every time the slightest little thing happens? And why don't you move to Windows and receive those very other day updates? That will give you lots to complain about.

I understand how complex computers have become and how hard it can be to prevent issues. I applaud Apple for what they do. I deplore users who love to complain for the sake of complaining. They should be banned from using Apple products, which frankly, are too good for them.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Is Apple still supporting Mavericks with any security updates if needed?

Not anymore. The oldest one still supported as such is yosemite, which will probably cease when macOS 10.13 is released.

But this El Capitan one updates the build number from 15G1212 to 15G1217.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
This bug affected nearly my entire facility, but it wasn't obvious for a few weeks due to the holiday break. Glad Apple found and pushed out the fix in a fairly reasonable timeframe.

Now, I have to wait for Nvidia to update their web drivers for my un-flashed graphics cards before I can actually deploy this fix. At least the nMP's and the laptops don't have to wait.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Aren't there any reasonable apple users that don't moan and groan the same anti apple stuff every time the slightest little thing happens? And why don't you move to Windows and receive those very other day updates? That will give you lots to complain about.

I understand how complex computers have become and how hard it can be to prevent issues. I applaud Apple for what they do. I deplore users who love to complain for the sake of complaining. They should be banned from using Apple products, which frankly, are too good for them.
Smilies were invented to add some subtlety to online written communications. In this case, they communicate sarcasm and the emojis used were correctly employed.

Next time, when a contributor includes emojis, think about what made them consciously decide to include those in the post.

As a matter of fact, MORE people here should use emojis since there are a large number of readers for whom English is not their first language.

Thank you for reading. :D

zaxxon72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
Aren't there any reasonable apple users that don't moan and groan the same anti sarcasm stuff every time the tiniest little emoji is used?

I understand how complex sarcasm has become and how hard it can be to spot and decipher emojis. I applaud sarcastic macrumors Users for what they do. I deplore users who love to complain for the sake of not spotting emojis. They should be banned from posting to forums, which frankly, sometimes contain good satire which makes you laugh and that, too, is good for them.

sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

Edit: Sorry, forgot the obEmoji :D

Reactions: coumerelli
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.