OS X equivalent apps question?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by belltree, Feb 17, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

I am planning to make the switch to OS X in the near future (finally!) but ahead of that I am trying to find equivalents apps to what I am currently using in Windows XP. Appreciate any help from you folks in the know:

* Symantec Ghost/Acronis True Image - best disk imaging software for OS X?
    * Winzip/WinRaR - best file compression tool for OS X?
    * Beyond Compare - best app for comparing two different files/directories.
    * UltraEdit - awesome text editor, great for debugging...OS X equivalent?
    * SyncToy - Tool for sync'ing directories/files. Time machine or other?
    * GoogleTalk - Seeing as google hasn't released an Mac version. Is there an alternative?
    * Process Explorer - awesome for seeing every process running under windows. Is there an equivalent for OS X?
    * Nero 6 - best cd/dvd burning app for OS X?
    * Smart FTP - best FTP app for OS X?
    * Ethereal - best network protocol analyzer (packet sniffer) for OS X?
    * TCP View - GUI netstat for Windows. Similar app for OS X to see all network connections?
    * TeraTerm Pro - Terminal emulation software (telnet, etc)
    * TreeSize Professional - Great tool for keeping track of what's going on with your data (disk space and data management).

* Divx/Xvid codec support on OS X (where to get them)?
    * DVDShrink - best tool for ripping/converting DVD's on OS X?
    * Utorrent - best bittorrent client for OS X?

* iDailyDiary - Diary software that the wife uses. Anarchysoft Diary 1.3 was suggested to me. Does anyone have any expierence with this app under OS X and that can vouch for it?

* TrueCrypt - Best personal encryption solution! Yay, just released this month for the Mac!

2. macrumors 603

swiftaw

Winzip - Compression is a built in feature, right click and select Compress.
    SyncToy - I use Chronosync
    Googletalk - Adium, allows connection to AIM, MSN, GoogleTalk, Yahoo, and others.
    Nero - Roxio Toast
    SmartFTP - I like Cyberduck
    TeratermPro - OSX has a terminal app built in
    TreeSize Professional - WhatSize
    Codec Support - Install Perian and Flip4Mac

3. macrumors regular

I used to use iDailyDiary before I moved away from the darkside. :)

You have a lot of options for that type of app on the mac platform, Journler, Circusponies Notebook and VoodooPad are three that I would recommend, there is a free version of VoodooPad as well. Here are some other (lots) options:

http://www.pure-mac.com/pims.html

4. macrumors regular

* Symantec Ghost/Acronis True Image - Built in, or you could use Roxio Toast
    * Winzip/WinRaR - Built in, or you could use StuffIt
    * Beyond Compare - no idea
    * UltraEdit - TextEdit? i dunno, ive seen a few "advanced" text editors around
    * SyncToy - Built in? i dunno, i never sync.
    * GoogleTalk - Adium
    * Process Explorer - iStatPro widget
    * Nero 6 - RoxioToast
    * Smart FTP - CyberDuck
    * Ethereal - KisMac
    * TCP View - Dunno.
    * TeraTerm Pro - built in
    * TreeSize Professional - Finder?

5. macrumors regular

As for torrents, Transmission or Tomato Torrent.

6. macrumors 6502a

Transmission for torrents. There is Divx for Mac. Go get Perian and Flip4mac to support all file types in Quicktime.
    Transmit for FTP
    Activity Monitor tracks all your processes. Built in.

7. macrumors 68000

tersono

Symantec Ghost - built in, but you could also try Carbon Copy Cloner (donationware)

Winzip: again, much of the functionality is built-in, but there's always Stuffit Deluxe

Beyond compare: again, Unix has built-in tools for this stuff. Some programmers editors also have comparison functions built-in.

Ultraedit: Textmate or BBEdit

SyncToy: Depends on exactly how you want this done. Take a look at Chronosync, although it may be more powerful than you need.

GoogleTalk: It's just jabber, so iChat (built-in) will handle it out of the box. Otherwise try Adium.

Nero: Toast

Process explorer: Activity monitor (built in)

Smart FTP: Cyberduck, Interarchy, Transmit or Fetch

Ethereal: it started off as a Unix tool, so works on OS X. Grab it via Fink

Teraterm: Depends on what you need. Terminal may handle everything you require, if not, then the fink package manager as above has a number of alternatives.

Treesize: Again, there are a number of alternatives. OmniDiskSweeper and Whatsize come to mind - you'll find 'em (and most of the other stuff I've mentioned) on Versiontracker

Divx codec. 3ivx or maybe VLC

DVDShrink Handbrake or Mactheripper

Diary: vijournal or possibly DevonTHINK (which is not primarily a diary app, but can be used that way - one of the best applications on the platform IMHO - I've used it for years).

Bittorrent: Transmission, I guess (I use BT very rarely, so see what others suggest).

There are many alternatives to the majority of software I've suggested, and I'd suggest spending some time on VersionTracker, reading a few reviews and trying out a variety of software.

Also bear in mind, given that OS X is Unix, that the majority of open-source software available for Unix/Linux can also be run in an X11 session on OS X - this gives you a massive variety of software to choose from.

8. macrumors member

kwabena

Googletalk - Adium

Bittorrent - Transmission or Xtorrent

Best FTP - Transmit

Nero - Toast Titanium

9. macrumors regular

Great Topic!!!

This would be a fantastic candidate for being a Sticky thread.

10. macrumors 6502a

superleccy

My humble opinions, where relevant:

* Symantec Ghost/Acronis True Image - SuperDuper! - creates a perfect bootable clone of your HD. Much better IMO than CarbonCopyCloner
    * Winzip/WinRaR - OS X can handle most compressed formats (including .zip) natively. For other formats, use The Unarchiver (freeware), way more elegant than StuffIt.
    * Process Explorer - Activity Monitor (built-in to OS X)
    * Nero 6 - OS X itself and sometimes Disk Utility (built-in to OS X) can be useful, else Toast 8 Titanium.
    * TeraTerm Pro - Terminal built into OS X.
    * TreeSize Professional - WhatSize? or OmniDisk Sweeper or Disk Inventory X (all free or 'almost free')
    * Divx/Xvid - Get them from the DixX website.
    * DVDShrink - Mac The Ripper and HandBrake.

11. macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

/Developer/Applications/Utilities/FileMerge.app

...it is called 'opendiff', when invoked from the Terminal

Don't know why Apple hides this gem so deeply in the filesystem. The rendering of differences in files is the best that I have ever seen so far.

12. macrumors 6502a

13. macrumors newbie

I use TextWrangler and Netrestore is great for muticasting.

14. macrumors 65816

displaced

Symantec Ghost
    I use SuperDuper for my OS X partition and WinClone for my XP BootCamp partition. Both are excellent. I also use 'Do Something When' to automatically trigger a refresh of my SuperDuper clone whenever I connect my backup drive.

Winzip/WinRaR
    OS X's built-in compression for ZIP, UnrarX for RAR.

Beyond Compare
    I'm a unix nerd, so I use the terminal tools for this. But there are some very capable GUI wrappers for those tools available.

UltraEdit
    I use a combination of Coda for web languages (PHP, etc) and the unix 'nano' editor with syntax colouring turned on.

SyncToy
    More unixness - I use rsync.

GoogleTalk
    Adium. Easily the best multi-protocol chat application on any platform, full-stop.

Process Explorer
    Activity Monitor - part of a default OS X installation under /Applications/Utilities/

Nero 6
    90% of my disc-burning needs are handled by OS X's built-in Disk Utility. OS X will handle nearly all disk image formats natively. For advanced tasks (such as video conversion before burning) I use Roxio Toast.

Smart FTP
    Panic Software's Transmit. Very simple, but very well designed and a joy to use. For frequent FTP'ing, you can use OS X's built-in Automator software to make 'droplets' to automatically do FTP tasks based on what's dropped onto the droplet. Also, Transmit (like virtually all OS X applications) is fully scriptable using AppleScript (built-in to OS X).

Ethereal
    I use Cocoa Packet Analyzer, but there's a wealth of these apps available.

TCP View
    I use the unix 'lsof' command, piped through 'grep' to filter for the protocols and traffic I'm interested in. Again, I'm sure there are plenty of GUI wrappers for that.

TeraTerm Pro
    iTerm.

TreeSize Professional
    Grand Perspective.

Divx/Xvid codec
    Either get the official codec from divx.com or use Perian. Perian is the 'swiss army knife' of QuickTime codecs, with support for a huge number of formats.

DVDShrink
    MacTheRipper for ripping, Handbrake or ffmpegX for converting.

Utorrent
    I use Azureus (with the stupid Vuze interface turned off). In fact, I run it 'interfaceless', preferring to access it via its web interface plugin.

iDailyDiary
    Can't comment on this, since I mainly just use iCal. But there's a massive and varied amount of these apps on OS X - one of the platform's really strong points.

TrueCrypt
    As well as the Mac version, you have a couple of other choices. To encrypt all user data, simply enable OS X's FileVault. I prefer a targeted approach where I encrypt one folder only. I use MacFUSE with EncFS for that.

----

Overall, I suggest browsing around sites like http://www.macupdate.com/ to see what's available. Remember that there's also a huge amount of Open Source/Linux software which runs on Mac OS X, so check their project pages or google around to see if there's a Mac binary available if an OSS project catches your eye.

15. macrumors member

I use Wireshark in replacement of Ethereal.
    Cyberduck will work for FTP. I don't like it much though to be honest. If you don't mind forking out money, Transmit might be the way to go.

Just a few observations:

There is no equivalent to UltraEdit on the Mac. There are some nice text editors out there, but nothing really compares. You can get close with TextWrangler, but it still lacks some of the features I loved with Ultraedit.

Mac also gets the big shaft with instant messengers. iChat is decent if all your buddies happen to use AOL. The alternatives are all dumbed down or in perma-beta status. Adium is decent, but it's sent messages to the wrong people on a few occasions (showed as going to one contact on my screen, but actually went to another one entirely). I REALLY can't have that happening.

Also, since OS X is built on Unix, it has SSH built in. Because of that, it seems no one cares to build a decent SSH client equivalent to what windows has. To be fair to iTerm, I have not tried it.

And of course, your results may vary...

16. macrumors regular

17. macrumors 68020

Azureus is the closest you'll get to µTorrent functionality on OS X. I use version 2.5.0.4; accepted at all public and private sites.

18. McGiord, Mar 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

macrumors 601

McGiord

19. macrumors newbie

Journler

Journler is a pretty neat Journal application. It's password protected, although there IS a way around it if you happen to know how the program works, but it should still be sufficient. You can even drag and drop internet links into a "drop" folder, and they will import into the application. It has smart folders and all kinds of stuff. Pretty cool. You should have her check it out.

20. macrumors newbie

I think there is a file comparison tool in Tiger/Leopard. I can't remember what it's called. File Merge? Or...soemthing. Hmm. I'll have to look.

21. macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Here's my two bits for Caboodle. http://www.dejal.com/caboodle/

Specifically it isn't diary software but could easily fit the bill.

MacJournal is nice, too. There's commercial version (5.something) and a free version with fewer versions (2.something). http://www.macupdate.com/ should have both.

mt

22. macrumors newbie

For file transmission I use Cyberduck, works perfectly and it is open source!

23. macrumors 68000

winzip: stuffit sucks-get away, the unarchiver chokes on big files. "UnrarX" is the alternative if unarchiver chokes.

instead of divx codecs get VLC player, it handles files better than quicktime if you ask me

24. macrumors Core

miles01110

Stuffit.

eMacs or BBEdit.

AdiumX

Activity Monitor utility (comes with OS X), or run top in Terminal.

Toast.

Transmit.

LittleSnitch (maybe?)

Terminal.

Handbrake.

Vuze or XTorrent.