OS X file associations help & uninstall question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by badhorsie777, Jan 27, 2004.

1. badhorsie777 macrumors member

Some html files open with safari when double-clicked, and some seem to prefer IE... I knew how to change associations in windows, but can you help me make all my html files open with safari?

ALSO: I installed some scanner drivers/software from microtek for a scanner that now is gonna be returned. How do I "Uninstall" what I put on my HD? Is it simply "delete the folder" in applications, or are there hidden drivers all round my drive now, ala windows? For instance, there's now an automatic "scanner finder" program running. How do I make sure it's not (in windows terms) in my "startup folder"?

I didn't know where exactly to ask this stuff, but as a long time reader, I've learned that you geeks are exactly the kind of geeks to help a computer-savvy, albeit OS X-retarded fella out.

Thanks a bunch,
    Badhorsie777

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

1) highlight an html/htm file. click apple-i. this will bring up an information window. go to "Open with:" choose an app, specify "Change all..." that will make all html/htm file to open with the specified app.

2) usually, most programs can be erased by simply dragging it to the trash. if you had to run an installer for the program (instead of simple drag and drop from a disk image), then try running it again. the installer may have an uninstall option.

3) start up items are in the system preferences panel -> accounts. in there, you can change the startup items. (this is for panther.) if you have jaguar, go to system pref. panel -> login items.