Os X Firewall Protection ??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rhobes, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hello-

I just did a search on recommended firewalls for my system(see signature). So, I guess I already have a built in firewall? I had no idea. I assume it is activated/turned on? How would I check to see if it is on, or just want to see the application to verify?

I have Norton Systemworks3.0 for antivirus security. I keep file vault turned off.:cool:

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

3. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Thanks for the link. My firewall was shut off, it's ON now.

I haven't had any problems with my Norton to date, should I leave it alone or trash it as so many seem to think is best?

I did get some type of virus once, I think it was someone who had my address, I kept getting tons of e-mails until it played out. I guess the Norton didn't do anything for that.

4. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

If you have a virus on an OS X machine then that would be quite amazing. Since no virus has ever been identified for OS X.

If you have a virus then it will typically not bombard you with tons of email. Instead, a virus will send out lots of email to other people. If you were on the receiving end of the emails then it is likely that someone who has your email address got a virus and the virus found your email address in their address book. Alternatively, viruses discover email addresses by randomly trying to construct the address out of random letters.