OS X Firewall won't stay on

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gordy, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I'm having some issues with my girlfriends mac mini.

It has the users on the system and my log in the firewall is on and seems to stay on, but for the two other users when I turn the firewall on it comes on right up until I quit out of the sytem preferences panel?

Any ideas whats going on?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Very weird, it could be hackers, or a weird bug, I'd make sure your computer is secure and see if that solves it (it happened to me before completing these steps, whether hackers or a strange bug I cannot say...)

First go to System Preferences==>Accounts and for all the accounts marked Admin (in the red circle) and change the password to something secure (ie NOT password etc. etc.) make sure at the very least that there is a password.

Picture 1.png

Second go to System Preferences ==> Security and make sure "Require Password to unlock each secure system preference" is checked (as shown below)

Picture 2.png

Then see if the firewall stay's on now.

3. Gordy thread starter macrumors 6502a

All the accounts are passworded with relatively good passwords, I've a firewall/router so I'm fairly safe from the hacker side of things. I just am concerned as to why this would happen.

I tried creating a new admin account to see if that would keep the firewall on but that does it too. I will try your suggestion above.

4. Gordy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Googling the issue didnt show up much info, but one article suggested any problems with the firewall deleting the plist file for the firewall and restarting os x could fix it.

I tried it and it seems to have fixed the problem.

I will monitor it and see what happens thanks for the help Eraserhead!