OS X flooding network with packets with in sleep

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Websteria, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Websteria macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I noticed yesterday several of my machines had very slow internet. I came to find out that my MBP was spewing out tons of packets and locking up the router, and it was in sleep mode. Is there a reason for this?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Technically, that's not possible.

If the laptop is slept, it should have no network connectivity whatsoever. At best the NIC could be whacked, but it's unlikely since I would expect the exact same behavior from a ****ed NIC when the laptop was awake.

Are you sure there wansn't multiple computers trying to share the laptop's HD and therefore yammering away on the network looking for it?

3. Websteria thread starter macrumors newbie

There weren't any other machines on the network looking for it, as far as I could tell. I did have remote desktop running on the machine when it went to sleep, so the windows box could've been hammering it I guess...

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Say what? Last I checked, unless (and maybe even if) you have "wake on network administrative access" checked in Energy Saver, the Mac physically powers down the Ethernet chip and any wireless cards in it to save power.

And even if they were awake, there's no processor sending them commands, so I don't see how they could be sending anything intentionally

So I don't see how the Mac could possibly be doing what you're describing. I suppose it's possible a hardware failure of some sort is causing the network hardware (you didn't say whether it was wired or wireless) to just dump noise onto the network on its own, or when the computer tries to power it down. You could probably test this by turning that interface off in the Network prefpane--doing that should cut power to it completely, mimicing a sleep state.

Otherwise, I'd say it's MUCH more likely that you're misinterpreting the source of the network packets--maybe something else is masquerading as your MBP?

5. Websteria thread starter macrumors newbie

It is absolutely possible I'm misinterpreting, that's why I wanted to check in. :)

There are only three things on that router that could've been causing it:

1) Windows PC
    2) Xbox 360 (off)
    3) MBP

When I unplugged the network cable from the MBP the speed decrease and lost packets on the windows PC stopped happening. I'm going to experiement tonight to see if the same occurs when the MBP is on.

Thanks again!

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Windows is... chatty. But anyway.. I'd do some serious testing.

Rebooting everyone, and seeing if you can duplicate the problem. Fiddling, duplicating the problem, etc.

I'd use some packet sniffers to see from whence the packet originates & what is it's destination.

You'll need ammo for AppleCare if it IS the NIC (as I suspect it's integrated onto the logic board of the laptop?) and the board needs replacing.

7. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

If you have a faulty (logic board) MBP like mine, you'll notice the MBP occasionally likes to not sleep when the lid is closed. ;)