OS X Folding - Invisible?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by plasticparadox, Aug 14, 2005.

1. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Let me be clear that this is for myself - eg nothing against the EULA. I want to start folding again on my iBook, but I don't want to see the client. No dock icon, no menu extra, pretty much 'set and forget'. Is it possible? And if so, can someone walk me through it? Of course I'll be folding for 3446 :)

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

use te script of mc68k. You set it up once, and never notice or see it! Look in the FAQ for the link/to download his app.

4. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm.. I'm not a highly technical guy - not familiar at all with Terminal, don't really have an idea of what terms like bash, cron, tcsh are. I think this script is too complicated for the likes of me :) I went through it, but I have no idea of F@H is running, and it quit with an error.

It seems like mc68k's documentation is meant for those who are already familiar with folding & terminal, I was kind of hoping for a script that didn't demand technical knowledge.

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

you really don't need to know anything of folding with mc68k script, or of the Terminal. I was the same as you, didn't knew anything about both subjects. And I got it to work! The only thing you have to do is double click the installer and then type in Terminal your username and teamnumber and answer some other question that you have to answer with every folding app. You can see if it works if you open the activity monitor. You can see that the app folding/FAHcore is using a fair amount of cpu power.

6. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i hope stanford makes a version that sets itself up as dual in the future. it seems long overdue

there's a field in the rc5 client that says number of processors and u just change the value....seems like stanford isn't too concerned about this

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

But we still love your app too much just to let it go, even if Stanford brings out its own version of dual folding!

8. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Try increase http://calxalot.homeip.net/InCrease/

Its a great app that i use to fold and has the ability to close and still run F@H in the background. Just make sure you put 3446 as you team in the preferences as its default team is team mac os x ;)