OS X grey screen help?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whitetrashanth, Jan 30, 2007.

1. whitetrashanth macrumors member

hey,..

turned off quad powermac the other day, and when i turned it on it only reaches a grey screen with apple logo

and restarted/ turned off and on quite few times

nothings happening..

help anyone please?

2. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

Have you got an iPod plugged in? Or any external hard drive? Unplug all peripherals and try starting up again.

3. whitetrashanth thread starter macrumors member

cheers im not there now il try it later tonight when i get in...

anymore suggestions before i get back would be appreciated so I can write them down as its the soul internet connection in the flat

thanks alot in advance

4. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

This is usually bad. I had a co-worker whose G5 did that, and it turned out to be a dead motherboard. Try rebooting from the original CD (hold C while starting up), and see if it gets you anywhere. Obviously not the video card. If you have another machine, or an external SATA drive you can try to see if the HD is working, but I'm pretty sure that it's either the CPU or the motherboard. Also, do you see any coolant leaking? Any rusting inside the case?

5. whitetrashanth thread starter macrumors member

hi took out all periferals etc.. checked everything...

i cant open the cd tray because its enclosed, nothing seems to happen when i press either c or apple option key....

it just comes up with that bloody grey screen with a small loading cursor,...

i really dont know what to do,.. i opened it up,..nothing happening there seems perfect to me...its only a year old...

after a couple minutes on the grey screen the machine gets louder and the fans kick in and stay like that nothing happens..

please anyone with any other info would be really really appreciated!!

i really am not to hot on computer termanology either so if possible keep it too a minimum thanks

6. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

OK. If the computer is less than a year old (I'm assuming that you don't have Apple Care), call Apple, or better yet, go to your nearest Apple store and talk with a genius. The motherboard is that blue thing that everything is connected to. If a single resistor or diode blew, then your computer will not start because the individual parts cannot communicate with one another. If it's less than a year old, it's still under waranty, and Apple will replace your entire board. From the sounds of it, this is beyond any of our abilities to self-fix. Good luck.

7. whitetrashanth thread starter macrumors member

its just over a year old like by a week but i have 3 year full apple care, my friend rung me to tell me which iswhy i asked on here to see if it was somthing silly,..

now im home i dont know whats going on

il ring/ see them tomorrow

i have full warrenty etc.. extended would they replace anything? should do shouldnt they

this is really worrying me because i have literally thousands of hours of work on there.. luckily i saved lots of my photos on an external hd and alot online too..

think it may have been a power surge if somthings blown??? :(

thanks for your help thus far

8. Bwebb macrumors member

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Any number of things can cause the Mac to become unbootable. The most likely suspect in your case (a gray screen, not a kernel panic) is a problem with the hard drive. You should try to boot the Mac in Single User Mode and run fsck. The steps:

Start with the command (apple) and s keys held down, until you see a black screen with white characters. When the screen stops scrolling, at the command prompt, type:

fsck -f [including the space, return]

If any disk errors are repaired, run it again until none are reported. Then at the prompt, type:

reboot [return]

If errors are reported which cannot be repaired, write them down and let us know.

10. whitetrashanth thread starter macrumors member

thanks just trying that now

11. whitetrashanth thread starter macrumors member

i wrote the above while waiting for it to load up the screen it did load up some

and it stopped scrolling

but i cant type in what you said

its dead nothing else is happening apart from some of the white characters which have already appeared... would it help to say what the last thing it says on the last line>?

il say anyway because its been on that for about 6 minutes now not moved

:

Load of/ sbin / launch failed. errno 85

:S

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

13. whitetrashanth thread starter macrumors member

unfortunatly not....im on my friends windows laptop :(

is it looking glum?

14. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Not with applecare it's not. seriously, instead of beating your head against it, just call apple. That $300 you spent last year will seem like the smartest decision. My co-worker's repairs cost $1600...he had applecare... he paid $0. :)

15. whitetrashanth thread starter macrumors member

its true man.. its just im so worried about my work

and the fact it really really couldnt have come at a worse time for me.. iv got sooooo much work to do its unreal...thers so much going on right now

this week espectially,..funeral tomorrow,.. travelling long distances to make things

god the biggest sob story of the year or what?

sorry guys for this, i sound completely useless , i really do appreciate all this by the way...but you can sypathise with me in terms of needing to get work done/ even accessing it...

:(

the mornings a long way away,..for the phone lines to open

im in (UK) its 1 am.. maybe i should just face the facts

16. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

This stuff always happens at the most inopportune times. When my mate's machine broke, he was writing a science grant. Luckily, his hard drive was fine, and managed to boot on my machine. Good luck to you.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Grim, I think is a better word. ;)

Still, all is not lost -- at least not yet. I'd want to see this Mac booted in Firewire Target Disk mode and connected to another Mac.

18. whitetrashanth thread starter macrumors member

hmm well cheers guys

il letcha know what big A says in the morning..