OS X hack eludes me...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blackpeter, Mar 18, 2002.

1. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I'd like to get icons and pictures to appear at the "bar" on top-right of my desktop (right next to the display/sound/clock icons).

I've seen people put an American Flag there or even an ATI icon... anyone know what I'm talking about?

Does somebody know this trick?

2. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I don't think its a hack.

Those are icons that existed under OS 9 for certain programs that were installed. I think the flag was for an international control panel and the ATI icon was put there when you installed certain ATI drivers/control panels.

I'm pretty sure these don't exist under OS X. In fact, Apple hasn't even published how to put icons/menus up there, not even to developers. I don't think it is yet possible.

Matthew

3. blackpeter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help... I'm still interested in getting the American Flag up there (call it knee-jerk patriotism). Know how to make that feature appear?

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Erm, tfaz1, you already asked this question, and you already got an answer...

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=3038

To answer your specific question about the US Flag...
    Go in to Sys Prefs and into International, then Keyboard. Select the US layout and any other layout you want. that will make the US flag appear in the menu bar, and when you click on it you will be able to change k/b layouts (if you want to...).

5. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

http://wcn.dyndns.org:2000 (might take 2 mins to load) Anyway I hated it at first but then after 9/11 I love it :) Heres what you do go to http://www.carracho.com and download the tracker app for mac os x it is in german so it sets ur languages and then the flag will appear :)

6. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

That's a very round about way of doing it... why d/l an app you will (may) never use when you can use the Sys Prefs to do the same thing?

7. blackpeter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Beej...

I know I already started a thread, but it was impossible to find this morning. Sometimes the search feature on this site can be pretty useless - so I did the lazy thing... I posted again.

8. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

That's so cool! How do you do that, have all your stats up there on the web? I want to do that!