OS X hanging when a network place disappears?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Butters, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Butters macrumors 6502

At first I thought this was maybe normal behaviour, when my macbook is connected to my emac or vise versa and one of them disconnects (goes to sleep, logs off, leaves the wireless network area in my house etc.) the other goes insane trying to find it, the beach ball appears and I can't do anything with the system until it realizes (usually a good few minutes afterwards) that it's not there anymore OR more recently it never recovers and I'm forced to power off :mad:.

I searched google to find out if there is a fix.. but I actually couldn't find a single report of this even happening to anybody else (maybe because i wasn't really sure what to search for?)

Anyway Does anybody know what I mean? does it happen to you too? can it be stopped?

Thanks!

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Happens to me, but it usually only takes 30 secs or so to realise the problem.

Try ejecting disks that are going to disappear before they do, by dragging the drive icon to the trash.

3. Butters thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I always try to do this, but sometimes I just can't help forgetting and putting the other computer to sleep first or leaving the house with my mb, at that point it's far too late.

It wouldn't be an issue if it didn't sometimes get so bad that I have to force a power off, there's nothing I hate doing to my computers more.

thanks for your reply

4. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

This happens to me as well, although only the Finder, not the entire OS, hangs for about 30s to a minute. I guess it is one of those flies in the ointment that everyone has to eat until Apple deigns to offer a fix.

5. MacVault macrumors 65816

This is a feature of OS X... NOT!

The OS X networking SUCKS! And I don't know why Apple hasn't been able to fix CRAP like this in a 10.x.x release. Maybe they'd have to charge us a $1.99 Sarbanes Oxley fee but even still they haven't fixed this very annoying thing. Ahhhhh! WTF! What is it going to take, Apple? There are quite a few things like this in OS X and they better be fixed with Leopard, Or I'm going to run my new MacBook through a meat grinder and post the fricken video on YouTube!!!!!

And Apple's own site calls it the World's most advanced Operating System... Go figure!
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I normally wouldn't agree with rampant OSX bashing, but it's such a small and yet MASSIVE thing that you're right. It is a joke that it hasn't been sorted out for so long.

I hope somebody from Apple reguarly reads these forums.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'll admit that OS X's networking is a bit pants too.

My MacBook Pro generally has no issues connecting to a PC share, but it usually can't even find a Mac on any networks. Even when it does, it can't connect to them, it just gives me the Alias error. Also, the Network area sometimes goes spazz, it just shows random folders instead of the normal stuff.

It also always completely crashes if somebody else switches off their computer while I'm connected to them, I have to restart the computer completely.

Not impressive at all.

8. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I agree, there are several obvious annoyances in OS X, with networking being one of them, but on the other hand, Windows (at least XP, 'cause I have not had a chance to try Vista yet) has quite a few more. No OS is perfect by a long shot, but OS X is still closer to hitting the home run.

9. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

You're right, it's just such an obvious thing that it's ridiculous that the Apple team haven't yet fixed it. I mean networking; one of the absolute fundamentals of modern computing.

Amazing really! I wouldn't mind if my computer maybe gave up say, ten percent of its CPU to locate the missing network - but it just gives up EVERYTHING to devote itself to re-connecting. Admirable, but a pain in the backside!!

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ironically, OS9 handled networking so much more gracefully than OSX has ever done. It actually warned you about connected clients, or when you were about the be disconnected from a server. I'm certain Apple knows about this deficiency in OSX so I can only suppose that it's an artifact of some underlying issue with the OS which cannot be readily fixed.

11. MacVault macrumors 65816

I hope Apple is not too stupid to be unaware that their networking in OS X SUCKS! And for Apple to neglect it for the last 5-6 years IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! I can't beleive there would be any technological reason the OS X networking could not be "readily fixed".

:mad: :mad: :mad:

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

OTOH, I can't believe it would not have been fixed a long time ago, if was an easy fix. Apple knows how to do this right. It used to be right.