OS X, Imation SuperDisk Drive & DS/DD diskettes

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by BigBurd, Aug 12, 2002.

1. BigBurd macrumors member

BigBurd

Well, I found that my SuperDisk Drive works with OS X, but I can't get it to recognize a DS/DD diskette. As I write a lot of MIDI files and my MIDI disk drive does not recognize anything but DS/DD (PC formatted) diskettes, it looks as if I'm out of luck, UNLESS I boot up in OS 9.2.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm surprised to see that as well. I hadn't used a 2DD diskette for a while in mine. I just tried an Atari ST 2DD diskette, which uses the DOS format and it didn't work either. I guess Apple didn't think it necessary. I wonder if Imation is thinking about drivers since they still sell the floppy drive for Mac OS.

Sorry that I couldn't help...thanks for the alert!

3. BigBurd thread starter macrumors member

BigBurd

Spoke with Imation

I just spoke with an Imation Techie. He said that, since Apple writes the drivers for OS X, it is an Apple issue, and that Apple has chosen not to support the DS/DD (2DD) format. As I think I will be "banging my head against the wall", trying to talk Apple into supporting DS/DD in OS X, I guess I'll just drop the issue and boot into OS 9.2 whenever I need to use the DS/DD diskettes.

If anyone thinks we can mount an impressive campaign to get Apple to start supporting the format, I'll be happy to jump on board. I think, however, that there are not enough of us to make that kind of a difference.

Whatever happens .........

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I still have an older machine with a diskette drive to use. Recently though, I've been taking programming classes and am required to work with the Windows world. Still, it's almost always 2HD diskettes.

The code in the driver would probably be only 100 lines longer if Apple would add in the 2DD format. Perhaps posting a suggestion on the Mac OS X section of their web site would help.

5. BigBurd thread starter macrumors member

BigBurd

3rd party driver?

I just had a thought ................ If a 3rd party developed the driver, it could probably be sold to people like us. I imagine the profits wouldn't be fantastic (I'm sure people wouldn't want to pay a tremendous price for the driver), but the 3rd party could make a name for him/herself, within the Apple world, as a great problem solver.

Any takers out there?

6. dwishbone macrumors regular

i have a USB floppy drive and it reads those disks fine.
    it just is slower than a snail in glue. it took about 5 minutes to copy a 1MB file to it.
    i am using the built in MacOS X driver.
    someone is working on another driver based off the floppy driver for MKLinux.
    http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=14399&db=mac
    It is in beta form right now, but looks very promising.

7. BigBurd thread starter macrumors member

BigBurd

different drive

As I said, my drive is an Imation Superdisk drive. It was created to read and write 120 MB SuperDisks (essentially, the same physical size as standard diskettes) as well as standard (DS/DD or DS/HD) diskettes.

Perhaps the DS/DD problem only lies with the Imation SuperDisk Drive. If it does, maybe someone can develope the drivers for it. (I'd like to think that Imation, or even Apple, might, but I think that would be asking for too much from these very much profit-driven businesses.)

Let's keep asking for the driver! Maybe someone is listening!

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've a question for you. How can you copy 1MB files to a 720KB diskette?