OS X in a honda?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ezkimo, Jan 24, 2003.

1. ezkimo macrumors regular

Honda announced a concept car, called the Studio E. The car has a computer which I think is built into the wall that runs OS X.
    I have to say the car is pretty damn ugly.

Article here
    and here

Attached Files:

2. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

3. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

lloks like they took an imac 15" screen. one of the pr photos here at apple. and placed it on the side of their car. maybe a little photoshopping but really, are they that dedsperate to sell a car.

think about it. they are using a platfrom that is dying. and has been for the last .... 19-20yrs :D

4. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

It is NOT a photoshop. It's a real picture. They used Apple because like the car, they want style.

Regards,
    Gus

6. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    Prove it. I haven't seen those two pictures except on PowerPage.

They look fake to me because of the second picture. WTF is that!

To me, it's fake unless otherwise proven.

BTW: I don't contest that the SUV itself is real, but the Mac OS X thing on it... looks suspicious.

7. ear2ear macrumors member

I want one.

I used to have this plan back in the day to convert a cube van into a mobile DJ booth to be able to pull up somewhere and just start a little jam (then take off fast when the cops come).:D

8. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

here is a quote from the honda site on the car:

Since it states that there is a 17 inch display the photo most likely is at least partially legitimate. Whether OS X was actually running on it is a different story.

9. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

It was on TechTV Live about a dozen times at the beginning of January. They showed the Honda rep inside with the screen showing OS X and the dock. That's how I know.

Look here:
    http://www.hondanews.com/forms/even...results_JPG.table&ws4d-database-submit=Search

Unless Honda is in on the joke too. Not everyone here makes things up you know. Everyone here thinks they are a photoshop expert. Sheesh.

Regards,
    Gus

10. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Whoa. Sweet. Thanks for the link.

I wonder how they did it. PowerBook? Power Mac? etc.

This is sooo what I wanted to do in my crappy Nissan. LCD display with Mac OS X running on an early PowerBook. :D

Yes, everyone is Photoshop-suspicious these days... it's quite easy these days to make fakes, spoofs. We just want hard proof. :)

I'm sold. If they make those SUVs and have them preinstalled with Mac OS X. That'll be my next car. I've always wanted something for my buddies to entertain themselves other than the boring radio. :D And I certainly do not want to hack my car just to run OS X on it. Too much effort.

But that, sweet!

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You must have a lot of money if that will be your next car (if and when they make it). It has a 42inch retractable plasma screen and many extras. I suspect it would cost 75k or so if they made it.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That's pretty freakin' cool. The biggest downside, IMO, is the plasma screen is so low yer not gonna be able to see it thru a crowd unless the Honda is parked on a platform or something. They went to the trouble to put a plasma screen in there they could've at least put it on an arm that could extend out and raise the screen above the roof.

Lethal

13. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Doesn't stop me from dreaming. :D

14. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

No Problem

Yeah, I personally thought that it would've made more sense to have that plasma screen fold down to face inside the vehicle. That way the poeple in the front could just turn around, and the people in the floor in the back could lounge on some bean bags or something.

And it would be cool to do all of that and use OS X in your car all at the same time. Sweet.

Regards,
    Gus

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You're thinking of the purpose of watching a movie. That is not at all what the vehicle was designed for. The party wagon Honda was designed from the ground up for a rave. From the sterero to the computer system.