Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Is it possible to install and run os x, on a windows pc?
i mean lets say now i'm using windows xp, i wanna format and install os x, will it work? I don't think it will work, but i'm not too sure about this. If yes, please let me know how it can be done.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
mad_jew is correct. The current form of OS X requires the PowerPC processor, which run of the mill PCs don't have. Also, even when Apple releases the Intel Mac version of OS X, it still won't run on PCs - Apple said so at WWDC 2005 (World Wide Developers Conference) but will still be limited to Macs.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
mad jew said:
Nope sorry. You'll have to run Linux or get a Mac to be free from XP.

Umm... I think that rhymed, how cool.
We will be getting a lot more of these when Apple makes the switch to Intel and brings out their own Apple PC in 2006.

But even then, the answer will probably find a hacked version of Mac OS X86 or buy a Mac.

Edit: But don't expect the price of an Apple PC to be much different than the current Mac lineup, so an Apple PC will probably be an expensive Windows capable box.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Sun Baked said:
Edit: But don't expect the price of an Apple PC to be much different than the current Mac lineup, so an Apple PC will probably be an expensive Windows capable box.

Apple PC or MacIntel? :p

But.... the AppleIntel (or Mac PC) will be be a Mac OS X, Windows and Linux capable box, making it a very unique and versatile computer. And ofcourse the prettiest Windows capable box out there too.
Probably won't be expensive considering its features and possibilties.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.