os X installation issues

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by k_os66, Jan 4, 2004.

1. k_os66 macrumors newbie

we just got a powerbook g3 (pismo) with os9 reconditioned for my wife. when i go to install panther on it, it doesn't work. here is what we've tried:

1) in os9, i popped in the first install disk in the internal dvd-rom drive. the disc is read fine, and i can click the "install os X" button, and the computer restarts. however, it doesn't boot from the cd, and goes back to booting to the hd.

2) i pop in the first install disc, restart, and hold down the "c" key (boot to cd). same results as before.

3) i pop in the first install disc, restart, and hold down the "option" key (startup disc selection), select the "mac os X install disc 1", and it starts to read the cd, but comes back to the startup disc selection screen again.

4) i hook up an external firewire cd-rw drive, pop in the first install disc, restart, hold "c", and it boots to the hd.

5) with the install disc in the cd-rw drive again, restart with "option" held down, and get the same results as (3).

6) with an external USB cd-rw drive, i try the previous two methods ("c" and "option" on startup), only to get the same result.

i know the panther install discs can be read, cuz i booted to them just fine using my powerbook g4. is there a way to network boot and install panther? would a new internal dvd/cd drive make a difference? i'm open to any/all suggestions. i'm afraid i've come to the limits of my apple boot knowledge.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I think you need to update your firmware. Hunt around Apple's site for more info.

3. k_os66 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Try the Software Update control panel. If that shows nothing, then you can try this web site.

5. k_os66 thread starter macrumors newbie

i've updated the firmware on the laptop; however, both when i pop in the panther disk 1 or jaguar disk 1, it starts up fine, but hangs on the "preparing installation" screen. the drive sounds like it's reading the disk, but it never gets past that screen. any suggestions?

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

How much RAM do you have? That sounds like what it will do if you don't have atleast 128MB.

7. k_os66 thread starter macrumors newbie

i didn't even think of that. i believe it's only got 64mb. :(

8. k_os66 thread starter macrumors newbie

i upgraded to 512mb, and panther installed fine and now works perfectly. my wife is now a happy camper. thanks everyone!